SS Brewtech InfuSSion Mash Tun Custom Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian_villager

Reaction score
WARNING: This modification uses mains voltage, proper grounding and GFCI protection are required. I do no accept any liability for your work or decisions on your safety.

Ok folks. I got a used first generation version of this Mash tun a while ago wanted to heat the mash directly in it. I looked at the OEM offering and found it anemic @ 60W. It is clear they were just engineering for safety by avoiding an AC circuit on the mash tun. This upgrade adds a 120V 500W heater to the mash tun that is controlled by an external PID controller.

Materials needed:
InfuSSion Mash Tun - I'm using the first gen however if y'all want to share measurements I'm sure we can confirm if later units would work
Keenovo Custom Silicon Heater - Have them replicate Order Number K11640S if you want the exact same one, or ask them to change it over to 240v if you need the voltage change. Warning This is a long lead time item.
Thin K Type Thermocouple - I used something similar to these that came with a meter
Appliance Cord - As this is only drawing 4A this is more than plenty
Wire Nuts or wago connectors
Kapton Tape
Insulation
Ring Terminal + Tools for crimping
Grommet for the hole in the bottom - Here is a 3d printable version I designed
Zip ties
Drill bits to drill stainless - Recommend a carbide tipped 1/8" bit to make your life easy

Start by flipping over your mash tun and removing the 4 screws that hold the bottom cover. Remove the bit of expanded insulation that is there. Clean the area with Isopropyl Alcohol and dry thoroughly. NOTE The heater manufacturer warns against using Acetone or gasoline for cleaning. Please follow manufacturer instructions on how to install the heater. Use thorough even pressure to make sure the thing sticks flat without bubbles.

PXL_20240105_232102163.jpg

Next up put a piece of Kapton tape onto the outlet tube, this is to prevent the thermocouple from shorting.

PXL_20240105_232706302.jpg

Next place your thermocouple junction over the previously placed piece of tape, and tape down the junction TIGHT. This is crucial for fast readings, go over it twice.
PXL_20240106_131830940.jpg

Once the thermocouple is placed, go over it with a bit of insulation, I used reflectix with zip ties as it is what I had laying around. This is critical to ensure that you are reading pipe temperature and not the elevated air temperature.
PXL_20240106_131843643.jpg

Insert the grommet in the bottom plate and drill the holes as shown to prevent damage to the cables.

PXL_20240105_232815012.jpg

Feed the thermocouple wire and the leads from the appliance cord through the grommet. Trim the leads from the heater to something managable, it comes with a few feet. Use wire nuts or Wago connectors to connect the heater to the neutral and the hot leads from the appliance cord. Add an extra cable to the ground, the ground has to feed back out of the hole in the plate to attach.

PXL_20240105_233755142.jpg

Crimp a ring terminal on the end of the extended ground wire. Then secure the cables coming out of the grommet using zip ties and the holes drilled earlier. Secure the ring terminal to one of the screws that attaches the bottom plate on.

PXL_20240105_234514004.jpg

CONFIRM THE DANG GROUND. Use a multimeter to confirm that you have continuity between the ground pin on the plug and various points on the body. Also use the multimeter to confirm that you have less than 5 Ω between the ground pin on the plug and various points on the body, I had a measurement of 1.5 Ω. If you want, zip tie your thermocouple wire and your power cable at a couple points to avoid spagetti.

From here connect the power and thermocouple plug to a PID controller and have fun brewing (I'll post the printables link to the control box and hardware used sometime in the future).
PXL_20240106_095628901.jpg

Couple notes: This must be used while recirculating, without it you do not have an effective temperature measurement to work with. Tune your PID controller while you are actually mashing at target temperature, just running this thing empty with water is not representative and you will have an unstable process. This thing works like a treat and I can reasonably raise mash temps.

EDIT: I just ran this setup again on my usual lager recipe ~9lb of grain ~2.75 gal of water, was able to raise 10F in the grain bed over 15 mins.

Last edited:
Nice build. I was considering using a heating matt for my keg washer. The ones I've bought in the past (seedling mats) have much lower wattage and I didn't think it would be feasible going that route. I'm going to bookmark that site!

A couple questions. How much was the heater? What model Fuji is that and how much do they cost?

A zoomed out photo would be a nice to see.

Nice build. I was considering using a heating matt for my keg washer. The ones I've bought in the past (seedling mats) have much lower wattage and I didn't think it would be feasible going that route. I'm going to bookmark that site!

A couple questions. How much was the heater? What model Fuji is that and how much do they cost?

A zoomed out photo would be a nice to see.
The heater was about $55 shipped.
Also a zoomed out photo of which section specifically? I can try and grab one tonight.
Good eye on the Fuji controller, it is an older PXV3 I got it free when a lab closed down in college ~14 years ago, I used this because I had it on hand and some nostalgic reasons around the person who gave it to me. You'd be just fine using any off the shelf PID controller. Honestly if I didn't have the Fuji controller and thermocouple on hand I would have gone for a standard PID controller and a PT100 sensor like the one listed below for better accuracy.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_131_15&products_id=38

What is the size of your mash tun? Mine is a 20 gallon and I am thinking about doing this. Currently I have a 120v 1600w RIMS tube. It can keep temps but raising the temp takes some time.

What is the size of your mash tun? Mine is a 20 gallon and I am thinking about doing this. Currently I have a 120v 1600w RIMS tube. It can keep temps but raising the temp takes some time.
Just noticed the volume markers in one of your pictures. I will have to measure mine. Thanks for all the information.

Just noticed the volume markers in one of your pictures. I will have to measure mine. Thanks for all the information.
Pardon the delayed response boss. I am running a 10 gal mash tun. For your 20 gallon if you're having trouble raising temps with 1600w, you may want to look into a larger element running 240v. The heating mat I am running has a maximum output of 500W. Also look into your recirculation rate. When you are trying to step up your mash temperature is your controller calling for maximum output or is it still pulsing?

Pardon the delayed response boss. I am running a 10 gal mash tun. For your 20 gallon if you're having trouble raising temps with 1600w, you may want to look into a larger element running 240v. The heating mat I am running has a maximum output of 500W. Also look into your recirculation rate. When you are trying to step up your mash temperature is your controller calling for maximum output or is it still pulsing?
NP with the delayed response and thanks for the recommendations! I have constant recirculation during mashing with the RIMS tube but heat loss outside of the insulated MT is one of the problems. Max output in a RIMS tube could cause issues and I tend on erring on the side of caution. Also, the RIMS tube adds a lot of extra steps to the brew day and having an easier solution is preferable.. I am really thinking I am going to do the heat pad. I have just switched to eBrewing and my only available 240v 30A connection is for the brew kettle but I have also integrated BrewBlox and it has the capability of sharing that single 240v between two outputs. A high output heat pad with the ability to pulse the 240v output between keeping the MT temps during sparging and heating up the boil. I think I am going to do this but not sure when. Kudos on documenting on your project and sharing it and adding great info to our community. When I do mine, I will share what I have done in this post and hopefully complement all the work you have done.

NP with the delayed response and thanks for the recommendations! I have constant recirculation during mashing with the RIMS tube but heat loss outside of the insulated MT is one of the problems. Max output in a RIMS tube could cause issues and I tend on erring on the side of caution. Also, the RIMS tube adds a lot of extra steps to the brew day and having an easier solution is preferable.. I am really thinking I am going to do the heat pad. I have just switched to eBrewing and my only available 240v 30A connection is for the brew kettle but I have also integrated BrewBlox and it has the capability of sharing that single 240v between two outputs. A high output heat pad with the ability to pulse the 240v output between keeping the MT temps during sparging and heating up the boil. I think I am going to do this but not sure when. Kudos on documenting on your project and sharing it and adding great info to our community. When I do mine, I will share what I have done in this post and hopefully complement all the work you have done.
Thank you for the kind words! I look forward to your results, and I am curious what wattage you can get out of the size heat mat you can fit on the 20gallon!

Latest posts

Back