Stuck 3724 fermentation. Temps or repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrjones89

Reaction score
The last time I used 3724 it finished fast and never got stuck. This time, I pitched very cool ~ 58-60F on 8/25. Very vigorous fermentation at first, and the carboy temps were 64-66F during that time. Then it stuck! I took it out of my kegerator and let it warm up to room temp, which fluctuated between 74 and 78F. I took a gravity reading today and it's stuck at 1.048; SG was 1.052. Repitch or what? I don't really have a means to heat it up...

You could pitch some Wyeast 3711. That would get you going. Or, repitch 3724 and open ferment with just a piece of aluminum foil on the carboy.

I don't have a refractometer, but my hydrometer readings were: SG 1.052 CG 1.048. When I say vigorous, I don't mean bubbler launching... just a good amount of krausen and bubbling activity, which has since gone away. I thought it might have been temps because the temp range specified on wyeast's website is quite a bit higher than my pitching and initial temps. I have it sitting in a warm bath right now at ~85ish and I jostled it around.

The last time I used 3724 it finished fast and never got stuck. This time, I pitched very cool ~ 58-60F on 8/25. Very vigorous fermentation at first, and the carboy temps were 64-66F during that time. Then it stuck! I took it out of my kegerator and let it warm up to room temp, which fluctuated between 74 and 78F. I took a gravity reading today and it's stuck at 1.048; SG was 1.052. Repitch or what? I don't really have a means to heat it up...

3724 is known for stalling and can take 5-6 weeks to finish, but it will finish if given the time. The trick is to let it do this and then harvest the slurry. On the re-pitch, it ferments faster than just about any other strain available.

Open fermentation is the key to preventing stalls with the Dupont strain.

Back