Festbier seemingly stuck at 1.030?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Asked on another forum as well, so members on both, please forgive the redundancy.

I brewed a Festbier on 2/7. 83.3% Avangard Pilsner, 16.7% Avangard Munich 9 SRM. Single-infusion at 61C, x 90 minutes. Pitched at 6.1 C, free rise to 9 C, took gravity sample at 7 days, 1.030. Just took it again, day 10, no change - 1.030. Seemingly, stuck. I pitched very fresh Bavarian Lager yeast (Wyeast 2206), started on 2.5, single-stage starter (1.040). Oxygenated with pure O2 and a diffusion stone. I ramped the temp up to 10 last night and just stepped it to 12.8 C.

I don't recall ever having a stuck fermentation before, so this one truly perplexes me. Suggestions? Rouse, re-pitch 2206? Let it ride another week at the higher temp? Reduce it down for pancake syrup?:mad::mad::mad:

Don’t repitch. Keep warming it up. You’d get to 20 C for a diacetyl rest eventually anyway, so if you’re feeling impatient just go there right away.

How did the hydrometer samples taste?

Don’t repitch. Keep warming it up. You’d get to 20 C for a diacetyl rest eventually anyway, so if you’re feeling impatient just go there right away.

How did the hydrometer samples taste?
Thanks. Raised it to 50 overnight and it's at 55 now. The bummer is that for the first lager in a long time, this was well on its way. It actually tastes really good, but the residual sweetness throws it out of balance. Just puzzled why. I think maybe next time I'll do a 2-step starter, and go way overboard. Though I would have thought 2.5 on top of some really fresh yeast would have been plenty.

I pitch 2206 about 10c, let it get a good ferm going, then start ramping up. At 6c, it struggles to replicate.
OK, thanks, good to know. Seemed like it was on a good steady beat but actually I got it wrong. I'm using this in the Festbier but the 2124 in a planned Pils. Does 2206 prefer a warmer temp relative to others, or is this just your general paradigm with lagers?

Sounds like your doing all the right things. Definitely rouse the yeast and get the temp into the low 160f range. I've never had any issues with this yeast in the past with stalling. Check in a couple more days and let us know.

OK, thanks, good to know. Seemed like it was on a good steady beat but actually I got it wrong. I'm using this in the Festbier but the 2124 in a planned Pils. Does 2206 prefer a warmer temp relative to others, or is this just your general paradigm with lagers?
All Frohberg lager strains (and all commercial lager strains are Frohberg type) prefer temperatures above 9C. You were at 6C and went up to 9C. I agree with others, you fermented too damn cold. There is nothing adverse in fermenting closer to 15-19C in the second half of fermentation, or even the whole fermentation probably -- warmer temps will help this to finish.

Pleased to report I just sampled, and we're at 1.018 after just a few days at 62F, so moving in the right direction at least and, sampling, it's tasting really nice. Did a forced diacetyl test and a very, very faint whiff is there, almost indetectable. Deciding today to let it ride for another week on its own, or dosing with 34/70 tomorrow, as we get some more in. Either way, I think I'll let this go out to 2/26, re-sample, and hopefully start the cooldown to lager at that time.

DM, thanks for the info on the Frohberg strains - either new to me or I've forgotten, reading up now.

At one month. Extremely pleased! Might be the best lager I've ever brewed and given it's been such a long time especially - really looking forward to more, including the German pils in about 2 months. Now have to convince my wife we absolutely need a third fridge - one for ales, one for lagers, and one for crash cooling & lagering. Then the beer engine. And the kegerator...

festbier at 1 month.jpg

Latest posts

Back