Strange ring in arilock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
So i noticed this last night in my air lock. Its on a sour beer maby that has somthing to do with it. I keep them filled with star san.

Attachments

• 20180508_020036.jpg
    20180508_020036.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
The picture is kind of blurry but I assume it is the dark colored ring that I think I am seeing. How long has the star San been in the air lock? Could be mildew. I don’t use an airlock after the first 2 weeks or so of fermentation on my sour beers. I usually just wrap aluminum foil over the mouth of the glass carboy because the airlock can dry up, it is a potential for oxygen ingress depending on how long you are letting them sit, and star San loses it’s sanitizing abilities over time. I have used star San in a pot that I was using for a swamp cooler and a lot of nasty stuff grew in it over the course of just 2 weeks.

It dose look like mildew..... idk what that means for the beer. Ill wash it out and swap for vodka.

It probably won’t hurt your beer but yeah I would do that. If you have a healthy mix of bacteria and yeast they should be able to defend themselves plus the low acidity of the beer would not be a suitable environment for mildew. I have a saison blended with a Belgian golden in my closet. It’s been on blackberries and blueberries for a year now and I have dregs from about 3 different sours in it. I should probably bottle it but I have been pretty lazy lately.

Yah the beer is 2 mths in it was sour batch kids from imperial organics. 2 lacto strains a Belgian strain and a brett strain

Im gonna rack half to bottle and put the other half on blackberrys. Im not sure if ill oak it?

Latest posts

Back