Reusing Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a current data point.
Thank you for reaching out and relaying the information you received.

I apologize about the confusion but these are the guidelines from the EPA for a sanitizer to actually sanitize.
The EPA must be using pretty tight guidelines!

Now we know what it takes, maybe we can start making truly good beer, instead of that infected swill we got so used to.

i cycle with each batch but get the most out of it.

7.5 gallons fresh in fermenter
—>
Plate chiller
—>
Keg
—>
Purged to bucket
—>
Empty mash tun
—>
Rinse clean fermenter
—>
Driveway

There inclusion of "EPA" in the description led me to believe it was a regulatory thing, not a true reflection of the product's sanitizing ability over time.
When Charlie Talley was the Five Star president, he was on many podcasts and discussed how Star San can actually be used, compared to EPA regulations. After he moved on, they seemed to revert to strict EPA regulations. Judging from the reply you got from them, I guess they are starting to go back to real world capability of the product. I'm glad to see it.

I guess they are starting to go back to real world capability of the product.
But with a "pot life" of merely 1 hour it's not very useful in the real world of brewing.

I was not aware that the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) would be even remotely involved in testing sanitation products and writing guidelines for sanitation practices around food and beverages, being well outside of their typical realm of waste products and effluents and their impact on the environment.

As @mac_1103 mentioned we would expect that domain of sanitary regulations and guidelines for food and beverage products and handling to lie with the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).

EPA has some purview over surface sanitizers and disinfecting agents. If it was meant to be applied on a human, nope, but on surfaces, yup.
Generally I appreciate that the EPA exists and generally have no issues with their machinations, but I think this looks hinky. Given I've been using Star San for almost 20 years, routinely maintain a ~6 gallon reservoir of standard mix for months for all of the sanitation needs around my humble brew space including occasional keg purging (hence the reservoir volume) and have yet to experience an evident infection.

fwiw, wrt Star San "life time", I came across this:

"Direct quote from Charlie Talley:
[Star San has three active ingredients: phosphoric acid, DDBSA, and propylene glycol] The acid-ionic [detergent or surfactant] is a synergistic killing machine. The acid by itself will not kill bacteria. The anionic detergent by itself will not kill bacteria. The combination of the two, at the correct ratio, is an absolute stone killer ... [The EPA requires you to make a fresh batch of sanitizer for every use ...] The material is kind of interesting. Like I mentioned before it is a, uh, it is a soap. It’s an acid anionic detergent. Um, if it’s made with deionized water, if the used solution is made with deionized water and there are no minerals in the water itself, um, the used solution is active for literally months. Uh, if there’s minerals in the water, what will happen over a period of time, the minerals will win out over time and they’ll start to create a hard water soap. The hard water soap will make the product cloudy. Only because, just like people use bar soap and they get soap tub rings. It works identically. There’s no difference in the chemical reactions behind it. And any brewer that uses the product and is in a hard water situation, I always tell ‘em to go to the supermarket and buy a jug of deionized water off the shelf. Um, they’ll thank me for it later on — and they do. They call me back up and they say, “Boy the water, you know, the sanitizing solution is crystal clear. Some of ‘em even have pH meters, um, some home brewers. And, uh, they go, “My pH it, uh, remains at 3, um, for two or three months.” I say, “Yeah, you’re still sanitizing. You’re still killing ... You can test the effectiveness in two ways, by the pH, or by the, uh, turbidity of the actual used solution. How cloudy it is.”

Cheers!

EPA has some purview over surface sanitizers and disinfecting agents. If it was meant to be applied on a human, nope, but on surfaces, yup.
Generally I appreciate that the EPA exists and generally have no issues with their machinations, but I think this looks hinky. Given I've been using Star San for almost 20 years, routinely maintain a ~6 gallon reservoir of standard mix for months for all of the sanitation needs around my humble brew space including occasional keg purging (hence the reservoir volume) and have yet to experience an evident infection.

fwiw, wrt Star San "life time", I came across this:

"Direct quote from Charlie Talley:

Cheers!

I'm not sure I understand the part on hard water soap and cloudiness. Does that imply the surfactant properties decline with time and/or minerals present?
FWIW I've tested tap water Star San after months and the pH was fine. The product was also still foaming, although it might've declined somewhat. I've yet to experience issues with old solution though. I usually throw it out when enough of the surfactant precipitates and I get a thin soapy film on the bucket, but that can be months. Or when stuff gets in there.

Or when stuff gets in there.

Yeah, material loading is what gets me to mix up a fresh batch. I use a 6.5g virgin bucket and if I see some debris on the bottom that'll do it :)
I use my RO system water and it stays bell clear and the pH will sit right where it was from the day it was mixed...

Cheers!

Mine gets cloudy incredibly fast, but like I said, it seems to remain functional a long time. I'll dive a bit deeper into the exact mechanics when I have some spare time.

I generally use it until it smells (typically hoppy) or gets to that degree of un-foamy that I subjectively and personally define as "not foamy enough, makes me feel utzy". And no, I do not have a device that can quantitatively measure that, or bluetooth IOT the results to a spreadsheet.

Yet.

And no, I do not have a device that can quantitatively measure that, or bluetooth IOT the results to a spreadsheet.

Yet.

Don't worry, someone will come up with one.

"Look for the Tilt Sanitizer Suds Defender with WiFi, available soon! Pre-orders taken now, $99, plus shipping."

I have a 10L plastic canister into which I pour 5L of demineralized water and 10mL of Starsan concentrate every few months and close it tightly. The bottle of Starsan concentrate of 118 mL has lasted me several years and I have not noticed any problem with disinfection. I only use the spray bottle and Viator, so I don't need a large amount (less than half a liter per double batch, and most of it is for disinfecting the bottles with Viator). But I don't reuse the used solution.
There is probably a durability problem if the disinfectant has been exposed to air for more than an hour or if tap water is used.

Back