Stone's latest hyped announcement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always hated Stone and now I know why. Perhaps this will shame Mitch Steele into working for another brewery. Eventually, all the guys at Stone will laugh and remember the time Greg ate too many crazy rich people drugs during the World Cup and decided to panhandle online for money to open a brewery in Berlin.

I've always hated Stone and now I know why. Perhaps this will shame Mitch Steele into working for another brewery. Eventually, all the guys at Stone will laugh and remember the time Greg ate too many crazy rich people drugs during the World Cup and decided to panhandle online for money to open a brewery in Berlin.
Mitch Steele worked for Budweiser. I'm sure that he's seen worse **** than this.

Bud marketing is less annoying than Stone.
I don't know. I find their commercials (and most beer commercials) pretty damn annoying. I do see what you're saying though.

I was just trying to say that Steels is probably used to idiotic advertising and shenanigans like these. He probably doesn't even pay attention.

Pretty shocking "announcement" by Stone.
Can't believe they are asking their customers to contribute to their expansion into Germany.
I've bought plenty of their products for many years and they've grown so much in the past few years to the point that I'm pretty sure they are making a very VERY nice profit. If they don't have the capitol to expand their new ambition, why not get a business loan like other businesses do? I'd be embarrassed asking my existing customers to help me expand.
That being said, I do like a couple of their products and their announcement today won't discourage me from continuing to purchase what I like from them. Why should I boycott them when it doesn't affect me either way?
I feel bad for the people donating though, caught up in the hype I suppose. Hype over ??????????

What? You wouldn't give this dude on the side of the road a buck... or thirty grand to stay at his flat?

Greg+Koch.jpg

Please tell me this is a joke, lol.

The sad thing is that, because this is Indiegogo, it's definitely not... thry get the money pledged regardless of hitting their goal, iirc.

Greg needs to take a week of the magic shrooms.

Can't wait for the upcoming dontdrinkbeer post. I can see him swiggin' rare Fantome at his laptop right now regarding this, lol.

I just finished a long day of work and I'm meeting a friend for a drink, but suffice to say I have a lot of likes to hand out in this thread when I get back.

I learned about this today on Facebook via a post from evilc. My reaction to the news about the brewery in Berlin:

tumblr_m9bi3eczHb1r71uie.gif

Then, my reaction to finding out they were funding it via crowdsourcing:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9380-1376942089-18.gif

Finally, my reaction to the "rewards":

50cent.gif

My overall reaction to the whole thing:

W1Q3Y.gif

**** this. No more loans for me, I am going to do a kickstarter to fund new brewery for 200% of what I really need because ****ing Stone can do it right? So much ****ed up with this. Startups kickstarters are annoying, but the 9th largest craft brewery asking for a free Million dollars is a slap in the face. All these breweries doing "East Coast" expansion (Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Lagunitas, etc) never asked for a handout, and yet here is Stone, sitting on the corner of the street with a sign saying "God Bless I need a beer"

**** this. No more loans for me, I am going to do a kickstarter to fund new brewery for 200% of what I really need because ****ing Stone can do it right? So much ****ed up with this. Startups kickstarters are annoying, but the 9th largest craft brewery asking for a free Million dollars is a slap in the face. All these breweries doing "East Coast" expansion (Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Lagunitas, etc) never asked for a handout, and yet here is Stone, sitting on the corner of the street with a sign saying "God Bless I need a beer"
Makes me happy I haven't purchased a Stone beer since last year. Srs. And now never again.

A much less hyped, American brewer of almost exactly the same size as Stone managed to build (start building? unaware of current status) an 8k barrel facility on the other side of the Atlantic, and I don't ever remember them asking me for money. So why does Stone get to do this and Brooklyn Brewery had to pay for it all themselves? Someone should give Garrett Oliver some money!

A much less hyped, American brewer of almost exactly the same size as Stone managed to build (start building? unaware of current status) an 8k barrel facility on the other side of the Atlantic, and I don't ever remember them asking me for money. So why does Stone get to do this and Brooklyn Brewery had to pay for it all themselves? Someone should give Garrett Oliver some money!

To add to that, shockingly enough a good point was made in the BA version of this thread: there is no way that $1 million can be even close to enough for the costs of this entire project; it's probably an order of 10 times that much. So what Stone is really doing here is a form of advertising, but where the customers pay for the ads!

To add to that, shockingly enough a good point was made in the BA version of this thread: there is no way that $1 million can be even close to enough for the costs of this entire project; it's probably an order of 10 times that much. So what Stone is really doing here is a form of advertising, but where the customers pay for the ads!

I'm going to feel ill when the kickstarter hits 2.5 million and all the new bonus beers get unlocked

Not to play devil's advocate, but Stone did this (somewhat) with the first expansion/renovation of their current brewery, right? That's where Stonewall Ale came from: they solicited funds from backers. The landscape, and their financial position, has changed enough that I don't think the same moves go as well now. But it's food for thought.

Not to play devil's advocate, but Stone did this (somewhat) with the first expansion/renovation of their current brewery, right? That's where Stonewall Ale came from: they solicited funds from backers. The landscape, and their financial position, has changed enough that I don't think the same moves go as well now. But it's food for thought.
On FB they said they don't have a lot of money. Not joking.

Over-leveraged between this and their east coast expansion project (which is at least a sensible endeavor unlike this nonsense).
Their hotel is nonsense too. What dumb****s. Meanwhile, Ballast Point is building an entire brewery that will produce ONLY Sculpin. ****ing awesome. Like or don't like Sculpin, but BP saw that people love it - they couldn't make enough - so they are building a monster brewery to give people what they want. Wow - who would have thought?

Remember when Lagunitas opened up a brewery in Chicago that's bigger than all Chicago breweries combined and on their own dime? The fact that a 50 year old guy that smokes pot all day has enough business sense to do this and Stone doesn't is mind boggling.

Latest posts

Back