Rant about bevmo selling expensive old beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneB

Reaction score
I usually buy beer at trader joes because it's cheap and fresh, they only carry a handful of beers and their hazy ipa move pretty fast. Went to my local bevmo to have something different and notice how all the beer is much more expensive and not fresh for an ipa or hazy. Picked up a 4 pack of Brewery X dictionary roulette, it was canned in Dec 2022 and ended up tasting gross. It's too bad this store has shelves full of old beer, maybe I'm spoiled from mostly going to breweries and tap houses. I noticed 90%+ of the beer in the bevomo cooler is from big companies like New Belgium, Stone, Ballast Point, etc. I know there are some local liquor / beer shops that carry good fresh beer but they're expensive, closer to $20 for a 4 pack of 16oz cans. It seems like inflation is finally catching up in the craft beer market and prices have adjusted. It seems like brewing to save money is closer to being a reality and you get fresh beer.

I consider myself a beer explorer, not an investor. Trader Joe's and even my local Ralph's market lets you break out singles from a 12 or 6 pack. The BevMos and such do not, so I'm not a fan of those stores. Some of these 4 and 6 packs can get pretty pricey. I've found some really good and inspirational beer with one-off purchases.

I consider myself a beer explorer, not an investor. Trader Joe's and even my local Ralph's market lets you break out singles from a 12 or 6 pack. The BevMos and such do not, so I'm not a fan of those stores. Some of these 4 and 6 packs can get pretty pricey. I've found some really good and inspirational beer with one-off purchases.

Good point, I like trying different beers. Total wine and more lets you split packs but again the big stores don't always have fresh cans.
I went to a brewery last night and picked up a 4 pack (green cheek - flying megaphone hazy ipa), canned 5/4/23, 10 days ago! Fresh beer tastes so much better. It's interesting to see the images of that beer on the untapped site, you can see how the beer changes color presumably as it ages.

Last edited:
I go to Total Wine most of the time, but usually buy 4 or 6 packs. I need to drink more than one bottle, for statistical validity. ;)

The dirty secret of many of those liquor stores that do the "mix & match 6 packs" thing: those singles are often pulled from packages that are way beyond their best-by dates. A way for them to get rid of old stock.

Like Bobby mentioned, I need to see the freshness date before buying, especially hop-forward beers.

If I can't read the canning/bottling date, I'm not buying. I wanted to revisit a sixer of Lagunitas IPA but they use microscopic fonts in black ink directly on a brown bottle. Sorry, I didn't bring a microscope.
If you can get the distance and focus right, the zoom on your phone camera will sometimes work for this. Also for reading too-small tap lists on the wall. The things I learn as I get older...

Back