Steeping Specialty Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNut24

Reaction score
I finished brewing a Oatmeal Stout extract kit and the directions on it said to steep the specialty grains for 30 minutes or until reaching 170 degrees. Being concerned about the length of time steeping (could be 5 minutes if the water heats up quickly) I called and asked. I was told that the length of time steeping doesn't matter but the preferred method is to start at 120 degrees and stop at 170 degrees (or 30 minutes whichever comes first.
Seems to me that you would want to stop heating the water somewhere around 165 and let it steep for the entire 30 minutes. Am I wrong? Thanks.

Don

I actually don't think it will make a huge difference. I've steeped for 30 minutes at 150, 160, 170, as well as putting the grains in cold water and heating until 160. I couldn't make out any noticeable differences. My more recent extract brews I've sort of treated them like a mash (no particular reason, maybe just because I've been doing AG lately) and heated the water up to 160ish, killed the flame, and added the grains. Seems about the same as before.

You aren't wrong and your specialty grains need some time for the flavor and color to be extracted. I'd suggest you try to bring your water to about 155 F. and keep it there for half an hour while the grains steep. This will extract most of the goodness from those grains and it will be good practice should you go all grain because you will know what it takes to get a quantity of water to a certain temperature.

I prefer to get the temp. up to 170F and turn the flame off. steep the grains like a tea bag every few minutes. When i'm not dipping the grains I keep the lid on to hold the heat. After 30 min. I lift them out and let drain through a strainer, and when cool enough give them a gentle squeeze. No squeezing the bag does not hurt the beer. I may even dip again to get darker wort, just depends on the grains and what I'm looking for. Cheers:)

Latest posts

Back