Water treatment for steeping grain (extract kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faithie999

Reaction score
I'm brewing an extract kit from NB after 20 yrs of all-grain--there was a sale I couldn't pass up. I need to steep 1lb of flaked oats in 2.5 gal of water. I have RO water at home--do I need to treat the 2.5 gallons of water for steeping?

the recipe calls for a 30-minute boil of the 2.5 gallons of steeping water, with the only hop addition a 20-minute hop stand. I have a 10-gallon boil kettle. is there any advantage to a full volume boil as far as the hop utilization during the hop stand?

thanks

Ken

Can you provide the kit name and a link to the online instructions?

My initial thought is that, generally, you should get better results if you
1) mash the oats and​
2) do a full volume hop stand.​

All the water adjustments have been made for the extract. I wouldn't worry about it. Adding more to it could produce a minerally taste.

@faithie999
  • RO with DME/LME doesn't need water adjustments. OTOH, if you check the NEIPA threads, you will find extract recipes with flavor salt additions. Pay attention to the brand/style of extract used as different brands can have meaningfully different mineral content.
  • with higher IBU beers (and higher ABV beers), a full volume boil is preferred. Is the same true for larger hop steeps? probably.
edits: wording

Last edited:
I'm brewing an extract kit from NB after 20 yrs of all-grain--there was a sale I couldn't pass up. I need to steep 1lb of flaked oats in 2.5 gal of water. I have RO water at home--do I need to treat the 2.5 gallons of water for steeping?

Steeping oats in RO water with no water salts will be fine as their is no enzymatic activity taking place. It is done simply to extract the proteins and starches from the oats.

LME, DME and HME are said to contain minerals from waters they were mashed in, however, I've found that small additions of water salts CaCl, CaSO4, NaCl, NaHCO3 may be beneficial as well as acidification pre and/or post boil to an appropriate pH.

the recipe calls for a 30-minute boil of the 2.5 gallons of steeping water, with the only hop addition a 20-minute hop stand. I have a 10-gallon boil kettle. is there any advantage to a full volume boil as far as the hop utilization during the hop stand?

thanks

Ken

The intent of the recipe and the specified IBU's are dependent on the volumes specified in the recipe. Increasing or decreasing those volumes changes the resulting IBU whether they come from boil, whirlpool or hopstand additions.

it's Northern Brewer's Fruit Bazooka NE IPA extract kit.

here is the instruction sheet.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/FruitBazooka-1646237913713.pdf
also I notice that the instructions call for the first dry hop addition 2-3 days into fermentation. is that advisable or should I do all the hop additions 3 days before bottling?

That appears to be a biotransformation addition as it says to add it at high krausen.

If you have a handle on oxygen exposure then follow the recipe, if not then simply add them as you see fit but recognize that it changes the recipe.

My recommendation is to follow the recipe the first time through and get a feel for the intent.

thanks for all the suggestions. I will stick to the recipe for the first go.

Since you're using RO water, treatment isn't really required for extract brewing or steeping. But if you'd been using a more alkaline tap water, then there's a good chance that some acidification would be appropriate to reduce the alkalinity.

Additions of any salts is debatable and dependent upon the beer style. Not required, but might help the overall beer perception.

Back