Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico.Capy

Reaction score
Hey,
I bottled my first brew with my Grandfather Conical Fermenter the other day, and I cleaned it ASAP. I rinsed it, rubbed it with a sponge, and soaked it for about 24h with Grainfather's cleaning product, but a few stains seemed to remain. So I soaked it again for about a day, and they're still there. I'm going to let it soak in Grainfather's cleaning product again till tomorrow, but I wanted to know if there were any solutions, or if this was permanent. And will it affect my future beers?
Cheers,
Nico

Attachments

• BF1CA4E7-4AA9-4F83-BBBE-4B55FC07E278.jpeg
    BF1CA4E7-4AA9-4F83-BBBE-4B55FC07E278.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
That looks like rust. Since this is a new conical, I would take it up with the seller (unless the manufacturer/seller instructed you to passivate and you didn't).

Asking them isn't a bad thing. That said, I'd probably DIY it.

Do you have any Star-San? You might want some even after using it for this, it's a good sanitizer for beer related processes.

With Star-San I would:
1) Keep it off your fingers but use gloves or a sponge to apply some directly to this. It's not specifically a cleaner, however it is acidic, and I have found that for some very stubborn organic stuff, it does seem to indeed cut through it. If this is organic in nature (leftovers form fermentation).
2) Hit that area, if it is rust, first with a scotch-brite pad or super fine steel wool. Then on the freshly exposed (and able to rust stainless, spray some diluted Star-San on it to passivate it and keep it from happening again.

That looks like rust. Since this is a new conical, I would take it up with the seller (unless the manufacturer/seller instructed you to passivate and you didn't).
Are you sure it's rust? After one batch? I'm guessing it's not great to ferment in rust?

Asking them isn't a bad thing. That said, I'd probably DIY it.

Do you have any Star-San? You might want some even after using it for this, it's a good sanitizer for beer related processes.

With Star-San I would:
1) Keep it off your fingers but use gloves or a sponge to apply some directly to this. It's not specifically a cleaner, however it is acidic, and I have found that for some very stubborn organic stuff, it does seem to indeed cut through it. If this is organic in nature (leftovers form fermentation).
2) Hit that area, if it is rust, first with a scotch-brite pad or super fine steel wool. Then on the freshly exposed (and able to rust stainless, spray some diluted Star-San on it to passivate it and keep it from happening again.
I'll take it up with the shop where I bought it, but I'll try that too. I tried putting vinegar on a sponge and rubbing, which usually works with rust (if that's what it really is), but the stains are still there.

Are you sure it's rust? After one batch? I'm guessing it's not great to ferment in rust?

Am I sure? No. But it looks like it could be. And after one batch might be when I'd expect to see it if the stainless had residual iron on/in the surface before first use.

I'll take it up with the shop where I bought it, but I'll try that too. I tried putting vinegar on a sponge and rubbing, which usually works with rust (if that's what it really is), but the stains are still there.

I wouldn't expect vinegar to dissolve rust that quickly. Maybe after a long soak.

BTW, what is the cleaner that you used originally?

Am I sure? No. But it looks like it could be. And after one batch might be when I'd expect to see it if the stainless had residual iron on/in the surface before first use.

I wouldn't expect vinegar to dissolve rust that quickly. Maybe after a long soak.

BTW, what is the cleaner that you used originally?
I cleaned it before using it with some Chemipro Oxi. Then I used Grainfather’s cleaner to let it soak 3 times, every time for about a day.

Not definitely, you'll have to take your best guess. Doesn't matter, just get rid of it. Scrub it off and hit it with something acidic afterwards.

Best practices to get rid of it before using again. But if you didn't you'd probably never actually know.

To me it looks more like caked on trub or beer stone. Not rust.

Bar Keepers Friend (BKF) and a non-abrasive (nylon) scrubby pad is your solution.

Back