Spiced Bourbon/Milk Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking through and brewing some of Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing recipes. There is one I'm planning to brew, from the 12 beers of Christmas, Spiced Bourbon Stout. It's suggested to use your favorite stout recipe, which I have one I've made multiple times with success and enjoyment, although it is a milk stout. I'm curious if anyone has mixed bourbon in with a milk stout before, and how it came out, as I have found limited information here. Or, if I take the recipe and just omit the lactose, if I need to do anything else with the recipe, or keep the rest the same?

The base stout recipe I plan to use is:
6.5lb Maris Otter
1lb Flaked Barley
0.75lb Chocolate Malt
0.50lb Brown Malt
7oz Crystal 80
0.25lb Invert Sugar
0.75lb Lactose

I have not brewed yet. I do like the idea of taking some milk stout and adding some bourbon to it to test out. In fact, I have some of the base beer I brewed a while back, so I'll be testing that out this weekend. I'll update with results!

@Maverick986 you should definitely plan out your bourbon addition tastings! Do you have a graduated eye-dropper?

The 2oz bourbon/128 oz beer I had success with, scales down to 0.05 oz bourbon/3 oz beer (or 1.5 ml bourbon). I'd start with 1.0 ml bourbon in 3 oz beer and taste that, from there you can dial it in either more or less bourbon...

Back