Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Got an American hopefully slightly sweet stout. Have to buy on maybe Thursday to make sure I get it in time for the weekend.

3 gallon batch

5lbs maris otter
1lbs munich
6oz coffee malt
5 oz crisp black
5oz oats
4oz caramel 120
4oz lactose

Mashed at 158 for some sweetness

.5 oz warrior 60
.5 oz haullertaur mittenfrau 5min (I have it on hand and I want the spice flavor from it)

TBS cocoa powder at 5min

US-05 (probably 2 packs)

Some hazelnut extract at bottling

Thoughts?

I might suggest some carafa special 3 to add a bit more of that chocolate roast without adding too much bitterness. Maybe just a few ounces or even in place of the crisp?

I have limited experience but a one of my favorite stouts of recent history uses it.

that said I think it’ll be decent as is, but unless I am missing something you definitely don’t need 2 packs of yeast.

Last edited:
I might suggest some carafa special 3 to add a bit more of that chocolate roast without adding too much bitterness. Maybe just a few ounces or even in place of the crisp?

I have limited experience but a one of my favorite stouts of recent history uses it.

that said I think it’ll be decent as is, but unless I am missing something you definitely don’t need 2 packs of yeast.

OG is 1.064 so it was more of an insurance policy. Def taking the carafa or chocolate roast into consideration. I’m glad I’m close to the right track

I totally missed the cocoa powder though, I would 100% avoid that. You can do nibs with tincture or avoid altogether and let your malt flavors do the work, but cocoa powder will likely not work well.

check this out if looking for more chocolate flavor, I found it on a search and was also posted on byo.com Brewing with Chocolate and Cocoa — Chocolate Alchemy..

Recipe looks very good. I agree that 2 packs is too much yeast. And not only too much, but WAY too much. A half pack will be more than plenty.

I'd back off on the black malt a little and swap in some roasted barley instead. Also I'd get rid of the oats (they DON'T add body or head retention) and instead use flaked barley or rye for that purpose.

All that being said... if you changed nothing you'd still end up with a great beer as-is. Enjoy.

The MO and the Munich are a great start. You’ve got a little crystal (I prefer English crystal, DRC, and crystal rye, but the 120L will be fine), and some black malt (I’d go 50/50 roasted barley and chocolate rye, but again, you’re fine), and those are great. The oats won’t hurt anything and the lactose is a matter of taste.

I agree you need to nix the cocoa in favor of extract (or homemade tincture). The hazelnut…well, it takes all kinds, I suppose <shudder>

I have gotten wonderful chocolate notes from Phoenix hops, but they are hard to find.

I’m a fan of somewhat aggressive late hops in an American stout. I’ve done NB/Crystal, and Calypso, and Lotus. Go wild! But only do that if you decide against the chocolate and nuts.

Agree with the above, no to the powder.

3 gallon batch of 1.064 wort? 1 pkg US-05 would be fine.

Also agree with @AlexKay 50/50 roasted barley and chocolate rye. That's what I use in mine. I also use Golden Naked Oats.

Heretics!!!! No such thing as an "American Stout". Next thing this old redneck knows people will be looking for a recipe for a New Zealand Porter... Do whatever you think will taste good for this, as it's 1 of the newest made-up styles, but for the love of beer, no hazelnut... and no cocoa powder, as it tends to have fats in It and that kills any head on the beer.

Last edited:
You mean Hallertau Mittelfrüh, right?

Whatever you want to use as a flavouring agent, better use it as I tincture once fermentation is done. You could even add it via a dropper to each bottle individually to play around with the amount. Just throw the nuts or the nibs crushed into some high percent alcohol and let it stand for a week or two. Strain it, tincture done!

Back