Southern hops growers - heat tolerant hop varieties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I live in east coast central Florida. I am thinking of starting 2 or 3 varieties of hops. From those of you that have grown hops in a hot climate, what has worked? Which to avoid?

I see that Cascade is heat and alkaline tolerant and one of my favorites so that might be one.

Suggestions?

My friends who grow hops have the best luck with Cascade, but they haven't tried any of the Neomexicanus varieties. I think those would do well.

I'll be the debbie downer here... in N Ga its damn near impossible to get anything except Cascade and I forget the other one... basically the cheapest ones already... by the time you factor in care, picking and drying etc... its not worth it to me. If i could get some others to grow thats different... they do come up every year, but honestly drying them out in this humid area is an even bigger pain...

just my two cents...

Doesn't help. Nothing will open from that link.

I have looked at Great Lake Hops and will probably order from them. They do describe what hops are good for hot climates but unless I missed something you have to look at each hop individually.

I am looking for personal experience as to which hops grow well in hot climates. I have seen some that have posted about hop growing in Florida in the past but was looking for the latest experiences.

There is a "2017 south eastern vegetable growing handbook" from that link that mentions 3 or 4 hops, cascade being one of them.

I'll be the debbie downer here... in N Ga its damn near impossible to get anything except Cascade and I forget the other one... basically the cheapest ones already... by the time you factor in care, picking and drying etc... its not worth it to me. If i could get some others to grow thats different... they do come up every year, but honestly drying them out in this humid area is an even bigger pain...

just my two cents...

Georgia may be one of the places that humidity is even higher than here on the east coast of Florida. That is one of the worries I have - that my options are too limited or that it would be too difficult to make it worthwhile. But at $8.75 and a little for fertilizer, soil etc. It might be fun for not much investment.

Georgia may be one of the places that humidity is even higher than here on the east coast of Florida. That is one of the worries I have - that my options are too limited or that it would be too difficult to make it worthwhile. But at $8.75 and a little for fertilizer, soil etc. It might be fun for not much investment.

Its horrible here... but they do grow pretty well, I have them on the N side of my house in the coolest possible area i could find... sometimes you can get 3 pickings off of them... i just have the 3 plants. Not trying to dissuade you at all... just in my opinion its more hassle than its worth... if i lived more up north or out west then in would be different i think...

From that link:
Varieties. Cascade is the variety that has proven to be most reliable throughout the Southeast. It is an aroma hop and is used by most brewers. Other varieties that have performed well in variety trials and are well accepted by brewers include Columbus, Zeus, Galena, and Nugget. Growers are encouraged to talk to their customers to identify other varieties to experiment with. Growers in the Southeast have not been very successful growing the Noble varieties.

I asked one of my friends that has tried a lot of varieties and he has had good luck with Cascade, Willamette, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook and Sterling. Can't grow Nugget at all.

Hops are pretty Latitude dependent though and we are about level with Charolette.

Here in Kentucky im having good luck, everything i planted has lived, mt hood, Chinook, northern brewer, comet, southern cross, nugget, and cascade. I didnt lose my neo 1 but it got off on a bad foot.

Back