Soldering Tri Clamp ferrules to SS Piping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilowitz

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has soldered tri clamp ferrules to stainless tubing to make up the various sections of their specific hard plumbing configuration of a home brewery? A subsequent question would be do Tri Clamp ferrule IDs match up with standard stainless tube ODs?

When I search google images I see a lot of "off the shelf" tri clamp tees, straight tubes, and elbows making up the configurations. Maybe some professionally welded pipe sections (too expensive). Or, I see DIY cut and bent stainless piping but running to compression fittings. I have soldered a stainless ferrule to a copper pipe before so I assume it is possible but I have just not come across any threads on it or photos to prove it. Seems weird that I have not seen more of it, maybe I am missing something?

Thanks in advance everyone! This is my first post on here.

The ferrule and tubing are the same diameter so it's not a slip joint like copper tubing and fittings. Generally stainless tubing is named for it's absolute outside diameter while copper pipe is named for its ID. That's why you've been able to slip fit those.

You can drill the TC caps out for a tight slip fit over your tubing as there's 1/4" of thickness for good solder contact there. You absolutely would need something like Harris Stay Clean liquid flux to make this work.

Note that you can't really have someone make hard pipe assemblies remotely base on even your most accurate and well intentioned measurements. Hard piping from port to port needs to be welded in place.

The ferrule and tubing are the same diameter so it's not a slip joint like copper tubing and fittings. Generally stainless tubing is named for it's absolute outside diameter while copper pipe is named for its ID. That's why you've been able to slip fit those.

You can drill the TC caps out for a tight slip fit over your tubing as there's 1/4" of thickness for good solder contact there. You absolutely would need something like Harris Stay Clean liquid flux to make this work.

Note that you can't really have someone make hard pipe assemblies remotely base on even your most accurate and well intentioned measurements. Hard piping from port to port needs to be welded in place.
Thanks for the feedback, Bobby_M. That makes sense as I have been reading all the tech specs comparing diameters and it confirms your note that they don't make them with intent for slip fit.

Back