So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christened my Fermzilla with an NEIPA, a recently maligned style which my wife and I enjoy, unapologetically. Plenty of Cascade, Citra and Mosaic. Hoping for the best.
I did the same!
Christened my Fermzilla with an NEIPA, a recently maligned style which my wife and I enjoy, unapologetically. Plenty of Cascade, Citra and Mosaic. Hoping for the best.

Attachments

• 20220611_092917.jpg
    20220611_092917.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220611_092935.jpg
    20220611_092935.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Brewed up a brown ale today. All of a sudden I'm getting ~5% worse efficiency over the last couple of batches. Must be something with the mill I'm guessing, but I haven't been doing anything different, as far as I can tell.

20220612_100157.jpg

Brewing a saison that I'll be flavoring with hibiscus. I thought I should make a good base beer recipe first and then complicate it but ain't nobody got time for that so I'm just going to send it.

Started at 6AM and I'm almost to flame out.

Busy brew day. Couldn’t sleep so began my dough in on a chinook IPA all grain 5 gal @ 4am. Transferred another IPA to keg. Put in kegerator on pressure. Transferred a barleywine that had been aging in a barrel to a keg which I bottled all but one gallon for the hand pull. And of course all the cleaning, sanitizing and what not. Finished at about 3 pm. Ok, ready for a beer. Took a nap.

Sounds like the perfect reason to buy another fermenter, or two.
yup, me also in need of a fermenter or two. Have 15 gals of arrogant basturd, 15 gals of a nut brown, "The touch of a hand", and another 15 in the primary yesterday, an Alaskan amber clone!

Planning a Fresh Squeezed IPA clone this weekend; just haven't decided what yeast to use yet. Got the hops I'll need today, was running low on Citra and Mosaic. And should be able to keg the Peach Hefeweizen from 2 weeks ago; been sitting on peaches since the weekend, I think Saturday should see it ready to keg.

Brewing a Hefeweizen Friday. Going to try open fermentation for the first time, covering the bucket with cheesecloth. Also doing some research, going to not add water minerals until after the acid rest at 114F, so that initial mash is around 5.7 pH and in the range that Kunze recommends in his book.

Day after Fathers Day still the weekend? Brewing a clone of Shy Giant IPA from Fernson Brewery in South Dakota. Used to be distributed here in Omaha but not anymore. Mosaic and Huell Melon, then dry hopped with Mosaic and Citra. The brewery website says they use Belma hops, but local shop didn’t have any so subbed the Melon.
573E29C3-66A4-4CD4-A438-11CEDFDD8FC7.jpeg

Headed off to LHBS tomorrow for ingredients to do a batch of Lawn Mower Ale for the remaining warm months this summer. Planning on ~10 lbs of 2-row, 1 lb of wheat, half lb munich and half lb of darker vienna. Using Northern Brewer and Hallertau to bitter and flavor, and trying a Dusseldorfer Alt yeast again -- I like how it lets the malt come thru.

Fridays make the best brew days.

I brewed a fairly simple Special Bitter with around 95% Pale Ale malt and 5% Crystal 80 with EKG. I recently acquired a 15-gallon kettle with a quality 3-piece ball valve (vs my 10 gallon kettle without a ball valve). I fit the kettle with a True Weldless Bulkhead with Edge Pickup Diptube from @Bobby_M at BrewHardware.com - High end, practical homebrewing hardware, accessories and ingredients for making beer, wine, mead, and cider. and a new Wilser BIAB Bag from @wilserbrewer at wilserbrewer BIAB Brew in a Bag. I am very happy with both purchases!

IMG_4037.JPG
IMG_4043.JPG

Brewing my annual Birthday Brown tomorrow. It’s a huge beer that will sit for 12 months to be enjoyed next year. Last years batch sat on apple brandy soaked medium toast oak cubes and turned out pretty nice. Not sure what this one will sit on yet. 🤔

Attachments

• BEF241C8-1568-47C1-8757-25419707B003.png
    BEF241C8-1568-47C1-8757-25419707B003.png
    788.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 909A6EC7-F485-470F-A38E-723DDE0B2747.png
    909A6EC7-F485-470F-A38E-723DDE0B2747.png
    620 KB · Views: 0
Starter spinning for my Friday brew day. Sadly, I didn't notice the "best by" date on my yeast was last September (!) until I got home. But I'm getting some foam ~20 hours into the spin, so I'll pitch it Friday and hope for the best. I have a packet of S-05 in reserve, just in case...

I brewed a fairly simple Special Bitter with around 95% Pale Ale malt and 5% Crystal 80 with EKG. I recently acquired a 15-gallon kettle with a quality 3-piece ball valve (vs my 10 gallon kettle without a ball valve). I fit the kettle with a True Weldless Bulkhead with Edge Pickup Diptube from @Bobby_M at BrewHardware.com - High end, practical homebrewing hardware, accessories and ingredients for making beer, wine, mead, and cider. and a new Wilser BIAB Bag from @wilserbrewer at wilserbrewer BIAB Brew in a Bag. I am very happy with both purchases!

View attachment 772512View attachment 772513
I have that same diptube from Brewhardware and couldn't be happier with it. It's in my BK and drains the thing dry.

*edit And after reading your post more fully, I also have the wilser bag, another fine purchase! I've been using mine for almost 6 months and no issues.

Last edited:
How is the peach hefe? I'm not normally one for fruited beers or hefeweizens but that combo sounds pretty damn good.

I'm brewing a stout this morning and then my brother is coming over to brew with me. I'm doing a saison and he's doing a hazy IPA.

How is the peach hefe? I'm not normally one for fruited beers or hefeweizens but that combo sounds pretty damn good.
I like it, although the peaches came through more as tangy fruitiness rather than real peach flavor; used 4lbs of frozen sliced fruit. Yeast was Imperial Stefon, gives a nice clove flavor that in the beginning almost bordered on bubblegum. It's settled out into a very nice tart refreshing beer. Here's s truncated version of the recipe:

5.5lbs Pilsner
5.5lbs Wheat malt
Water adjusted with 1 tsp lactic acid for softness
1oz Northern Brewer hops at 60 minutes
Imperial Stefon (no starter, it took off like gangbusters in less than 4 hours)
OG 1.052
Fermented at 68° for 14 days
4lbs thawed frozen peaches added on day 7
Kegged on day 14

Last edited:
Motts Creek Hazy #2, going to keep tweaking it until my wife admits that it's good (which could take quite a few iterations of the batch). El Dorado instead of Galaxy this time.
Dehydrating the spent grain in a (possibly) vain attempt to make pretzels. If I'm successful, may never leave the house again.

Attachments

• 20220702_074003.jpg
    20220702_074003.jpg
  • 20220702_080405.jpg
    20220702_080405.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220702_083145.jpg
    20220702_083145.jpg
  • 20220702_114613.jpg
    20220702_114613.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 0
I was going to brew this weekend, but Wife is going out of town for a few days on Thursday, :ban:so I will wait until then. And I might brew twice; the first will be a farmhouse ale with only a 5-minute boil and I'll be pitching the yeast warm, so a kind of short brew day. (I experiment with short-boil and no-boil recipes in the summer) I'll post more details in a couple of days when I actually commit to something.

I was going to brew this weekend, but Wife is going out of town for a few days on Thursday, :ban:so I will wait until then. And I might brew twice; the first will be a farmhouse ale with only a 5-minute boil and I'll be pitching the yeast warm, so a kind of short brew day. (I experiment with short-boil and no-boil recipes in the summer) I'll post more details in a couple of days when I actually commit to something.
I'm thinking of shortening my boil times also - not quite down to 5 minutes, but maybe 45 on my next batch.

Back