So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure is, after reading all the emphasis on using that yeast I made sure to get me some! :mug:
Save the slurry after finishing the beer! It does not store as well as other yeasts do, but 2-3 months are possible. You will want to use it again. Or brew a barley wine by directly pitching on the cake. On day 3 add a pack of dry US05 to up the attenuation, I made a marvelous barley wine this way.

What symptoms do you see? I'll be stretching it all the way out to 5 months. Mine's got maybe a 1/2 cm of gray on top, but the rest is a nice creamy beige. Hoping a SNS starter does the trick.

Imperial Pub is similar to Wyeast 1968. I doesn't like long naps, but I usually spin up a starter every quarter to keep it happy and healthy, 1968, that is. So far one of my favorite English yeasts.
Unfortunately, I am not brewing this weekend. Army owns me...then maybe once my bulkhead and valve show up I can get my HLT built so I can start my all grain adventures.

Under the gray, it's nice and creamy. Smells fresh. Pitched a spoonful into a 500ml 1.040 SNS starter with a smidge each of Fermaid O & K. Figured might as well. We'll see how it takes off.

20220106_213656.jpg

20220106_214053.jpg

Under the gray, it's nice and creamy. Smells fresh. Pitched a spoonful into a 500ml 1.040 SNS starter with a smidge each of Fermaid O & K. Figured might as well. We'll see how it takes off.

View attachment 754789

View attachment 754790

Still working on waking this Pub up. It never put up anything I would call a krausen, but it has been simmering under the surface with a layer of loose big bubbles for a while. At the bottom is a layer of yeast much greater in volume than the spoonful I started with. A gravity check this morning shows >80% attenuation. Still simmering. Not as healthy as I'd like, but definitely alive.

So, I prepared a new SNS starter, poured off most of the supernatant, and pitched the rest into the new starter. We'll see how it goes. If this step doesn't do much better I'll have to move my Burton Ale to Edinburgh with the relatively fresher Tartan I've got in the fridge.

Next brew day, fresh pack of yeast.

ETA: High hopes. An hour after pitching the new starter is whistling pretty good past the slightly loose lid.

ETAA: Looking good!

20220109_165408.jpg

Last edited:
Brewed 3 gallons of Munich Dunkel today. I’m trying Imperial Harvest L17 yeast for the first time. I was going to step it up a couple more times and use it in a 5 gallon Vienna lager but thought pitching my first step into this and letting it grow that way would be a better use of my time and ingredients. Hydro sample tastes great so far.
0AA48BCD-BD00-4543-819A-1D8A53B4DB3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, it was warm enough to brew, but not warm enough to convince me to drag hoses through the snow to hook up the IC. Now, after 3 hours buried in the snow, the wort is still at 105°. So, I’m doing no chill with this one.
I had to dig my hoses out of the snow too. Apparently they didn’t get drained well before the arctic weather settled in and had some ice blockages. Wife wasn’t home today, so I soaked them in the tub filled with enough hot water to get them loosened up.

I had to dig my hoses out of the snow too. Apparently they didn’t get drained well before the arctic weather settled in and had some ice blockages. Wife wasn’t home today, so I soaked them in the tub filled with enough hot water to get them loosened up.
I put the kettle in my garage, where it was about 35⁰, around 8:30 PM. I took a nap until around midnight and checked the wort. It was down to 65⁰ so I racked it to the fermenter, pitched the yeast, and went back to sleep. By morning it was happily chugging away.

Still working on waking this Pub up. It never put up anything I would call a krausen, but it has been simmering under the surface with a layer of loose big bubbles for a while. At the bottom is a layer of yeast much greater in volume than the spoonful I started with. A gravity check this morning shows >80% attenuation. Still simmering. Not as healthy as I'd like, but definitely alive.

So, I prepared a new SNS starter, poured off most of the supernatant, and pitched the rest into the new starter. We'll see how it goes. If this step doesn't do much better I'll have to move my Burton Ale to Edinburgh with the relatively fresher Tartan I've got in the fridge.

Next brew day, fresh pack of yeast.

ETA: High hopes. An hour after pitching the new starter is whistling pretty good past the slightly loose lid.

ETAA: Looking good!

View attachment 755095

I pitched my second step starter last night at about 8. 12hrs later I've got a nice krausen forming over champagne-like wort. Looks like my Burton's staying in London.

This is the end of the road for this particular pack of Pub. First batch with it was a Miraculix Best, last is a Pattinson recipe. Eight or nine batches over four generations. Got my money's worth!

Brewing a Belgian Blonde on Saturday and racking my first conical-fermented-and pressure-fermented batch (a Wee Heavy) to keg, in what appears to be the most oxygen-free transfer I will have done to date. This thing rocks.

Planning to leave the yeast from the Blonde in there and use it to ferment a Belgian Golden Strong in a couple weeks.

I “brewed” 2 gallons of Apfelwein today. My wife had bought a couple gallons of apple juice and then decided she wasn’t going to use it right away and didn’t want it taking up space in the kitchen. I didn’t have any wine yeast so I used 4 grams of Munich Classic. IME, that yeast tends to be noticeably spicy when fermented on the cool side, so I thought that might play well with the tartness of the apple juice. I added half a pound of table sugar. My ferm fridge is set at 64° for the Porter I brewed a few days ago so we’ll see what I get.

1st BIAB WF lager done a few weeks ago somehow produced acetaldehyde, which is fading slowly, a bit too slowly for my pipeline. And the pale I brewed 2 weeks ago, that got kegged yesterday, is meh at best. So, since my christmas toys arrived the other day, will do another BIAB batch of the house WF lager tomorrow with nothing but Saaz hops, and BIAB since the new house fridge is being delivered sometime after 11:30am. Old house fridge is going away with the delivery guy; not the right configuration for a 2nd ferment fridge (also no space in the garage for it), but not before I uninstall the supco 3-in-1 capacitor I installed in it when the original went kaput. Will save that for future use.

Brewing tomorrow night. A hazy IPA with Bru-1 and Sabro hops. Never used Bru-1, excited to try.

Just kicked a keg of hazy that I made with Amarillo, El Dorado, and Citra. It was sofa king good.

My other keg is still half full with a milk stout.

I have a keg of all Amarillo pale ale that's carbing up in place of the old hazy.

I have a Vienna Cream Ale in primary and 9 gallons of mead fermenting.

Tomorrow night's brew will be ready for NFL conference championship weekend and Super Bowl. Yay!

Torn between doing another Stout or split batch Berliner for some Lacto testing...

I think I might do the Stout tomorrow, leave the Berliner to complete during the week, or next weekend.

Duvel clone kit from Northern Brewer (They don't call it that - it's "Belgian Strong Golden Ale."
Went well. With the sugar it's supposed to have OG of 1.081 - I got 1.079.
2 hour after pitching (at 65F), those 2 packs of BE-256 - it's active in sight glass already and a few bubbles in blow-off bucket.

IMG_4209.jpeg
IMG_4212.jpeg
IMG_4211.jpeg

well, just had orange juice kale green drink....wondering how the f i'm worried about getting enough calories! because i'm avg'ing 2750, meeting my nutritional needs. and i'm already up to 9 9% ciders today....WTF? i really needed a ribeye steak yesterday! the 1,000 cals it'd supply would have been perfect. but i can't afford $20 for a steak....so i guess i'll starve...oh, hell most people would be exicited right? what you don't WANT to lose weight?

i'm like damn man! i'm 6'2", and only 175lbs...i can barely lift my sack of grain up the front porch! 🤣

but i got to get this barley sprouts in the oven, for hope fully brew day tomorrow...sorry for the windy comment...not really if it's me trying to brag, complain, or just be confused.....

and after 20 years of brewing once a week.... :mug: to everybody that brews for fun!

edit: sorry for that....but i do hope to be brewing tomorrow! sunday! got some orange peel for a pressure fermented ale....thinking all base malt, and adding 1-2 ozs orange peel with the hops?

Last edited:
2nd batch of the weekend, 5g of the house Sabro/Citra IPA, done BIAB again. Cannot believe I didn't try this years ago, started at 6:30am and now a bit after 9 I'm almost at flameout. 30 minute mash helped. And new hop spider is amazing! So much nicer to just dump the hops and go about my business, instead of having to mess with a spring clamp and steam burning my fingers! Smells very much good in here right now.

Back