So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally back to brewing after a year off ... This weekend it's a Northern Brewer Kiwi IPA I made previously and it was fantastic.

Maybe Sunday? Latest fridge repair finally getting it to cool down again. Gotta get it right before I can chill spring water & keep big bag of ice frozen. Then Hellfire IIPA, here I come!

Brewed 2.5 G of Irish Red. Chilling it to ferm temps now.

Recipe OG - 1.056
Actual OG - 1.064

Looks like I will never have a beer under 6% ABV... estimated FG is 1.013.

:(

(Yes, I know I am the one that added 1/2 a cup of honey to the boil!!!)

Just started the mash...forgot to get my RO water last night so I didnt get started on time...how do you forget water?!? Oh well...should be a fun day!

Dry hopping kinda weekend. American barleywine been sitting around aging, time for it's big blast of dry hops, 1.5 oz overall into 3gal. My IPA dry hop went in yesterday, my ale/lager got dry hopped today. All samples tasted pretty good and amazingly dry lager flavors from nottingham at 59F.

Considering brewing a hazelnut porter...maybe with cocoa nibs. Question: I found a recipe for Jamil's Hazelnut Porter and it calls for 4 packages of yeast in a 5 gallon batch. Another version called for 2-1/2 vials or 2-1/2 packages. Has anyone done this beer? And is a huge volume of yeast really necessary? (If so, why?) If you guys want to stay on topic, you can PM me. Thanks!

I did my first all grain today.
Its a 3.25 gallon Hoppy Wheat Ale.

Congrats. No looking back now. It's gotcha.

45342211.cms

I brewed a Coffee Stout this morning. Well right now it's just a stout, adding whole beans to primary after fermentation. Target OG was 1.069, I ended up at 1.067.

Had to get a ride to pay a bill & stopped at G. E. for ice & spring water to brew the Hellfire IIPA at the first cool day coming up. Gotta see if the bakery dept has some 1-2 gallon buckets soon for the malt vinegar.

Brewed a maple porter yesterday. It was intended as a pale ale when I gathered the ingredients, but a coworker/fellow homebrewer gave me a gallon of maple syrup that had been overcooked at the sugar farm, and when he said overcooked, he wasn't kidding. It was probably 180L or so in color, so 6oz turned a 1 gallon pale ale into a porter, fast! Roasted/toasted flavor, very dark color. The syrup itself looked like motor oil, and the beer has a deep reddish-brown color. Looking forward to tasting this one!

I wonder exactly what the flavor will be at that point? Finally got to where I can't wait anymore on a cool day to brew. The hot peppers won't be good much longer....so tomorrow it's all or nothing. Just hope I got the grain mill back together well.

Brewing an all grain milk stout on Saturday that will get tacked onto coffee after fermenting, and then be the first corny through my new kegerator!

I have a busy weekend but I'm also dangerously low on stout. I think I'll be fine if I mash in Saturday night and boil Sunday morning. Probably go with another batch of Yoopers Oatmeal.

Well, finally got a good crush again after cleaning & fiddling with my BC grain mill. Darn think needs to be tighter than expected to keep the adjusters from moving. Had to crush nearly 9lbs of grains three times. Got mash water going on the large, dual-range element on the new stove @ 1:49, so we'll see at 2:05 how it's doing.
* Wow! Temp went up to about 156F in 15-17 minutes for 2 1/2 gallons of water. Should taken it off the burner right after shutting it off though, temp got to 170+ while sitting there, removed from burner & added room temp spring water. Gotta remember that with this new-age stove.

A few weeks ago, I made an "apple pie ale"; pale malt and a bit of crystal in the mash, apples and brown sugar in the boil, cinnamon and nutmeg added with the aroma hops, and WLP585 Saison III yeast. Turned out okay, I wouldn't boil the apples again though.

Since I only make 2-gallon batches (limitations of my tiny apartment) I kept half of the yeast in the vial and in my fridge. Tomorrow morning, I'm making a Saison III Stout :D I've already got a yeast starter with that leftover WLP585 fermenting in my closet, to make sure it's alive and awake by the time I pitch.

Should be a fun little experiment :D

Not technically the weekend, but I have Monday off work and I will brewing then.

Brewing up a christmas old ale. Aiming for an 8%'er. Leaving it to ferment for about 10 weeks, bottling just at the beginning of December, and letting it bottle condition for 4 weeks until Christmas. I hope it turns out good as I plan to share this with my family on Christmas day.

Planning on brewing Northern Brewer's AG Surly Cynic clone tomorrow... IF I can get motivated to run out for water and propane... Wanted to put this in the ferm chamber before we run off to the Disneyland of Beer (yes going to Belgium in a little over a week - psyched:ban:)...

Propagating some stored wy3787, and bringing some resurrected Spencer Trappist Ale bottle dregs up to pitching scale, for Double Brew Sunday.

ab_25sep2015_01.jpg

Wishing I had either a second 5L flask or a third stir plate...

Cheers!

Propagating some stored wy3787, and bringing some resurrected Spencer Trappist Ale bottle dregs up to pitching scale, for Double Brew Sunday.

View attachment 305654

Wishing I had either a second 5L flask or a third stir plate...

Cheers!

Is this the latter stages of your stepping. Nice stir-plates. Your own creations? (I'm guessing yes based on all the other cool stuff you've put together)

Well, I pitched two packets of US-05 into 400ML of warm spring water Thursday & pitched at 8:35PM on 1.082 wort. Airlock centerpiece pegged the cap at 10AM Friday. Finally started visible fermentation @ 9:01AM this morning. BS2 suggested 3 packets, I got cheap & rehydrated 2. But the packets were dated 02/2017, so at least they were fresh. This is how S*** happens.
As for the other fermenter with the Cooper's English Bitter, I figured it was about done, as today is the two week mark. It was holding some small amount of pressure, but no more airlock action. The fluid in the airlock was travelling up the center tube as well. It's been getting chilly at night around here with the window open in the brewery. By mid-afternoon yesterday, I heard an airlock going spazz. The English bitter's airlock went off like a machine gun for a few seconds. Guess it wasn't quite done yet?

Last edited:
Brewing a simple pale ale with Nugget for bittering, Simoce, Amarillo and EKG for finishing. Will probably keg an hefeweizen afterwards or tomorrow to have it ready in two weeks for the long weekend.

Back