So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed an IPA today because there is nothing else to do. Full grain using the Grainfather. Great system! will brew aging as soon as by fermenter is free. Just finished a knock-off of Fat Tire 3 weeks ago and will brew a Irish Red next. Stocking up on beer doing these unsettled times just in case beer is in high demand and you can't get into a store. You do need your essentials. Look for food later.

60660550654__B83DC6DF-A2FF-4E7C-9867-C0C08E71E186.JPG

My 1st try at a hazy ipa.
6lb Pilsen lme
1lb oats steeped for 30
1oz ea citra,mosaic,Galaxy once cooled to 170 for 20 min then restarted the chiller.
OYL-200 yeast temp 80
Once hi krausen starts to slow I’ll add the same 3oz if hops
After 14 days another dryhop of the same..
Hope it turns out as good as it smells right now[emoji482]

5 gal. Bourbon Barrel Porter. Too new to try it all-grain, so I stick with the basic kit. I need to figure out a way to limit the water that winds up all over my kitchen floor - at least it's not beer! Brewed it yesterday, so bottling in 5-6 weeks. Happy with results - 1.072 OG and soaking my oak cubes with Elijah Craig. Should have filtered wort better - lots of crud in my carboy.

can't say i hit 88MPH for a time trip, but i did brew yesterday, watching, someone else brewing live streaming on youtube......it was a triple brew sesh actually his wife had a batch going too....needless to say we were all really drunk.....:)

Brewing a pilsner urquel knock off ,just got the grains in time as a the online vendors in the UK are closed for the time being.
Stay safe guys

View attachment 672439

My 1st try at a hazy ipa.
6lb Pilsen lme
1lb oats steeped for 30
1oz ea citra,mosaic,Galaxy once cooled to 170 for 20 min then restarted the chiller.
OYL-200 yeast temp 80
Once hi krausen starts to slow I’ll add the same 3oz if hops
After 14 days another dryhop of the same..
Hope it turns out as good as it smells right now[emoji482]
This looks like an enormous yeast starter!

Tomorrow or Friday I’m brewing for 12 BOC 2020. So many events have been nixed I don’t have as many events to brew for, and this one needs some aging so it will be good timing.

View attachment 672154 Transferred at Westy12 clone today. It willl set away for another 3 months

Now that carboy handle scares the daylights out of me. Please don't lift that fermenter when full. I tried that once, but was so lucky the neck did not break. Reading the horror stories after I did that made me never want to try that again.

Brewing 5 gal batch of Bavarian Pils now. My adaptation of the published recipe for the NHC 2018 champ-using a single decoction mash and almost ready to start boiling. Should be a good last lager for the cooler season.

Most likely brewing this weekend. Probably another IPA, since I'm not at all happy with the latest one, and have the stuff for it. Only possible complication will be how much of a pain my mill is going to be...

Transferred and dry hopped my Amarillo IPA today. Brewing Irish Red either tomorrow or Friday.

.............Goose
AHA Governing Committee Member

Knocked off work early today and got started on a Nelson Sauvin Saison mid afternoon.

My first year hop plant that was so lovingly nurtured daily for months and months got completely forgotten in the covid chaos of the past few weeks, here's my meagre very late harvest that went in with some Nelson Sauvin at 10 minutes.

Way over chilled down to around 20°C. Pitched Mangrove Jack M29 French Saison and set the STC1000+ to 29°C.

IMG_1779j.jpg

Weekends are when I'm NOT working both my effing "essential" jobs...dammit. Trying to decide if I'm going to brew a Czech Premium, or another IPA. Have to keg the Amber lager I did a couple weeks ago anyway so might as well brew something. Nice to have a choice of what to brew with the ingredients I have on hand.

I'll be brewing a Brown Ale with 3x the Crystal malt I had planned for as I rushed the order to get it on the courier before lockdown (oops). Should be interesting...

Hopefully a Berliner Weiße, split half with Hibiscus and half with raspberry, using a kveik Voss yeast. First time trying the Kveik yeast, going to ferment at 70 & 85 degrees.

morebeer shipped my base malt, being lazy and buying it.....they shipped yesterday, i ordered it friday last week...and FedEx says it should be here tommorow (Friday)....so planning a brew for Saturday with it.....What do you guys think, should i go dark or light? thinking either 100% base malt or tossing in a pound or two of special b, and black patent.....

edit: i have an amber on tap, and cider now.....

morebeer shipped my base malt, being lazy and buying it.....they shipped yesterday, i ordered it friday last week...and FedEx says it should be here tommorow (Friday)....so planning a brew for Saturday with it.....What do you guys think, should i go dark or light? thinking either 100% base malt or tossing in a pound or two of special b, and black patent.....

edit: i have an amber on tap, and cider now.....

Dark

I plan on Brewing a malty amber this weekend and a nugget/2row smash

Dark

I plan on Brewing a malty amber this weekend and a nugget/2row smash

vote is settled, dark it is, i've been slacking on brewing and drinking a lot of cider...so something dark, and roasty sounds like a good change....(plus dark beers are so much easier to make! covers up my crappy brewing skills! :))

vote is settled, dark it is, i've been slacking on brewing and drinking a lot of cider...so something dark, and roasty sounds like a good change....(plus dark beers are so much easier to make! covers up my crappy brewing skills! :))

With the amount of brewing you do I am sure your skills are not crappy

With the amount of brewing you do I am sure your skills are not crappy

man it took me from 1996 when i started, to 2006 to learn i needed to sparge slow......i just ran it full open, and got like low 60's% efficiency.....lol, but in my quest for the cheapest beer, i learned!! i plan on getting probably about 90% with this store bought malt on the weekend now though! :) (i'm largely self taught....never posted in forums much, all i really knew was 145-158....)

edit: for the record, this is my plan, because it's what i got....

10 gallon batch scheduled for 4-4-20

20lb's pale malt
8oz's special b
1lb black patent
1lb roast rye
4oz's roast barley......and i'll love it like it's my own! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back