So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a 1.25 gallon of single hop pale ale (Simcoe), today. Currently chilling.

20200402-140225.jpg

Love to do the same. Have lots of supplies, but no temp controlled fermenter space right now.
You need to get you some Kviek yeast! All temps are a go.

Anyway, finally bottled my mixed ferm wild ale after 9 months since brewing and it’s time to get another one going this weekend. Going to use a modified version of the Rare Barrel golden ale, ferment it on my house culture then rack it onto Loquats and Blueberries for what will likely be several months.

Pipeline suddenly got dangerously low (Sabro IPA just kicked today, damn that thing was delicious), and next weekend will be taken up with working on stupid car, so doing a double brew weekend; tomorrow will do an IPA with Columbus, Citra, and Mosaic, and Sunday another Czech lager. Still cool enough in the "brew room" in the house to ferment one in there so we're set.

count me in.

For the first time in years!

I'll be hitting the store for yeast and keg rebuild kits this afternoon, as well as to grind my grain (yeah, I bring grain *to* a Homebrew store . . . and the owner gets to tell tales about a lunatic with 30 lbs of grain and a massive drill in the trunk :p).

I've dragged the cajun cooker and former keg out of storage, and insured that it draws from both of my propane tanks. A fuller test this afternoon.

A new 100 qt wheeled Coleman cooler arrived yesterday, and I pulled the EZMasher and tube from the old, disintegrating cooler.

I'll sniff some old hops to make sure they haven't gone funny before I run to the shop (most are still vacuum packed from the manufacturer, and have been frozen for years).

It seems that I *do* need a lighter for the cooker (hmm, I wonder if I could take the one from the gas grill waiting for scraping . . . in the meantime, just a long lighter).

I probably need a new siphon starter; we'll see if a usable one shows up . . .

I'll get a pack or three of a fast, temperature tolerant yeast . . . we let it be warmer here than most like, but the fermenters will sit in a water bath with 2L bottles of ice changed a couple of times a day . . . . .

If I can't find tubing laying around, there's an insane amount still left on my wort chiller . . .

I wonder what I'm forgetting?

I'll be using about 5 lbs of steel cut oats from Winco, about 3 pounds of cara pils, and about 10 of two-row. I suppose about 4oz of whatever that 12% hop in the freezer is, and maybe 3 or 4 oz of cascade to finish, and a similar amount later sunk in the serving kegs . . .

But just what am I forgetting?

Using whatever I have laying around to make Steve's Covid-19 Americanish Pale Ale. Pale ale malt, Warrior, Falconers Flight, Lallemand ESB yeast and dry hopped with chinook cryo.

IPA I brewed this morning with CTZ, Chinook, Citra, and Mosaic is already taking off; always makes me giggle seeing the big ugly clumps that fresh Notty throws when it's happy. Going to push this one fast to be done by next weekend, all I've got on tap is a very nice porter that I want to have around for a while.
20200404_155404.jpg

Three brews in three days. All 1.25 gallon pale ales featuring a different hop. Despite their dark appearance they are actually quite light in color. I've noticed these LBMB's always seem to make the beer appear darker than it actually is.

unnamed-5.jpg

I have one of those, but I've been using it exclusively to make starters. The bottom has a dimple, so it's hard to throw the magnet on the stirplate.
Never thought of using it for small batches!
DUH! It is a LBMB! fermenter.

Trying out full volume MIAB for the first time today, on a simple Czech lager. 14lbs of pilsner, struck with 12 gallons of water, got 8 gallons first runnings at 1.035; then added a gallon from the dead space in the tun, brought it up to 9 gallons at 1.037 preboil, which is exactly where I wanted it. Glad it worked, will knock some time off future brewdays, although using more grain is a bit pricey for me. Usually only use 10lbs for this recipe.

Brewed a couple of meads on Friday. Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit/Mesquite Honey mead in the left, and a Pineapple mead on the right. Both will be sweet meads. View attachment 674336
Have you made the misquote honey before? I love honey beers and mesquite is my fave smoke flavor(taste I picked up living in Texas for 20+ years). Sounds like and interesting combination

ARGHHHH!!!!

High winds. And they don't stop until midnight. Not even below 15 until 8pm . . . .

I may do this anyway . . .

Trying out full volume MIAB for the first time today,

wait, what?

I miss a few years, and IPA *has* subcategories rather than *being* one, and there's a new language?

MIAB?

Missing In Action, Beer

?

uhm, *find it!*

and the timer just went off. Hopefully my mash is done.

I am still working (from home) so today was a weekend day for me!

Brewed a beer that I am excited about. I am a huge fan of 5% ABV beers and I have been wanting to brew a hoppy hazy pale ale for a while. OG was 1.052, so should be close to 5%.
  • 7.5 lbs (71.4%) Muntons Super Pale
  • 1 lb (9.5%) White Wheat Malt
  • 1 lb (9.5%) Flaked Oats
  • 0.5 lb (4.8%) CaraFoam
  • 0.5 lb (4.8%) Munich 15
  • 0.3 oz Columbus - 30 min
  • 1 oz Columbus - Whirlpool 20 min
  • 1 oz El Dorado - Whirlpool 20 min
  • 1 oz Azacca - Whirlpool 20 min
  • 2 oz El Dorado - Dry Hop
  • 2 oz Azacca - Dry Hop
  • WLP013 London Ale
I debated about a run to the homebrew shop for London Ale III, but figured WLP013 would be a good enough stand in (and would avoid a non-essential outing). I am playing around more with 30 min boils. Saves some time and means half gal less water to mash in my 10 gal pot (BIAB). First batch with the Muntons Super Pale that I got from a local brewery just before things got crazy.

welp, going for an all nighter it's 8pm Sunday, just put the spurs to my strike water, got the grain mill going....as discussed, going to be dark, both outside, and in my kettle....

It's cooling down.

It seems I *started* the day with five regular size carboys, a smaller one, and a 7 gallon (I didn't realize I had that many), but one shattered in cleaning.

And my cheesecloth bags turned out to be just cheesecloth from my stint with cheesemaking long ago.

So loose hops. It got 8 ounces of 8.7% Amarillo, and an ounce or so of 13.7% nugget that was left in a bag.

I scooped most of that off the top and added half a half pound bag of cascade (hmm, 8% themselves, not that that makes a difference for finishing).

And now it's cooling.

I'll wrap some cheesecloth around he end of the racking tube and see if that helps.

It's cooling down.

It seems I *started* the day with five regular size carboys, a smaller one, and a 7 gallon (I didn't realize I had that many), but one shattered in cleaning.

And my cheesecloth bags turned out to be just cheesecloth from my stint with cheesemaking long ago.

So loose hops. It got 8 ounces of 8.7% Amarillo, and an ounce or so of 13.7% nugget that was left in a bag.

I scooped most of that off the top and added half a half pound bag of cascade (hmm, 8% themselves, not that that makes a difference for finishing).

And now it's cooling.

I'll wrap some cheesecloth around he end of the racking tube and see if that helps.

??? i just mashed in and hit a perfect 5.3ph without needing to add anything! are you trying to jinx me? ;)

It's cooling down.

And now it's cooling.

Get a 304SS hop spider..can find them pretty cheap on eBay. Works wonders

oh, I thought you meant 5.3mph . . . which doesn't even qualify as a breeze around here . . .

gosh, I don't think I've *ever* measured ph on a mash . . . heck, I've only remembered both IG and OG on the same batch once . . .

checked a few minutes ago, and only down to 110 . . .

And as for hop spiders . . . I normally use a 5 gallon nylon screen bag for hops, and failing that cheesecloth bags--but I couldn't find *either* this time (although I thought I had the latter . .)

Last edited:
Have you made the misquote honey before? I love honey beers and mesquite is my fave smoke flavor(taste I picked up living in Texas for 20+ years). Sounds like and interesting combination
I have made the Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit/Mesquite Honey mead before. It is an old Charlie Papazian "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" recipe. I can say without a doubt that it is the best mead I have ever tasted. It is a big one at 18%, so it needs 5+ years of aging. I am going to try to hang on to this one for 10 years as it just keeps getting better.

wait, what?

I miss a few years, and IPA *has* subcategories rather than *being* one, and there's a new language?

MIAB?

Missing In Action, Beer

?

uhm, *find it!*

and the timer just went off. Hopefully my mash is done.

LOL. MIAB - Mash In A Bag. Kinda like BIAB but not really. It actually turned out fantastic, hit my numbers and last night it was chugging away happily.

Eventually I got it cooled down and into containers.

I had to scoop out the hops with my wife's colander and ladel out the wort, but . . .

And I never got a gravity reading, and really don't know whether I got a stuck sparge or didn't use enough water . . . oh, well, it's old grain that may not work anyway, and old hops . . .

LOL. MIAB - Mash In A Bag. Kinda like BIAB but not really.

Ahh. We didn't have a name for it back when.

One of the things we couldn't find was my 5 gallon nylon bag . . .

Knocked out the second batch of my raspberry hibiscus wheat, getting ahead of my kegs for a change (they're all full but I expect at least a couple of kicks in the next few days).

Some brews go well, but this one was truly a walk in the park. All numbers hit or bettered - and zero time-sink screw-ups!
Gonna treat myself to a short pour of that raspberry bomb right now! :ban:

raspberry_wheat_2sm.jpg

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back