So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another attempt at perfecting my American wheat coming up later this week. I am going to add oats and increase the whirlpool addition of hops this round. I’ve got a solid base currently, just need some incremental improvements to get it in to the exceptional range.

Finally bottled them on Sunday. Will be ready to drink on Friday. Right on time.View attachment 668139
I tasted while bottling & it had nice orange aroma with hints of grapefruits. I think the green malt hit right on money with taste and flavours. I'll use green malt more often at least in such ales.
A very interesting approach. Does the beer get clearer as it sets?

A very interesting approach. Does the beer get clearer as it sets?
I think it'll, but not much since I bottled it earlier than usual - in 8 days. Usually, I bottle only after 3 weeks, by that time all yeast has dropped. I also didn't use clay etc. But after sitting in the refrigerator for a day should make it a bit better.

Not sure where I posted it two weeks ago...but Girl Scout cookie season came up and I had to manage booths for my wife's troop. So my brown ale ingredients (into which I intend to add vanilla and toasted coconut) are still sitting in the pantry. Godwilling, this will be the final week and I may even be able to sneak in brewing this weekend...haha. Wish me luck!

Not sure where I posted it two weeks ago...but Girl Scout cookie season came up and I had to manage booths for my wife's troop. So my brown ale ingredients (into which I intend to add vanilla and toasted coconut) are still sitting in the pantry. Godwilling, this will be the final week and I may even be able to sneak in brewing this weekend...haha. Wish me luck!

Your a good man! Hope you get a brew day in soon!

John

Doing another batch of Juicy Bits, been a bit of a struggle with all the oats and wheat but haven't stuck the mash yet!

20200227_114001.jpeg

[edit] Note to self: do not skip the beta glucan rest with this recipe! :drunk:

Gummy mash = a high wire act the whole way. The mash really wanted to slam the door but I coaxed it along and actually nailed all the numbers in the end.

juicybits5_27feb2020_2sm.jpg

Woof. Tiring. I need a beer, stat! :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Finally got my scoresheets back from the competition a few weeks ago; one of the judges' comments was "slightly astringent, maybe adjust mash temp/boil time". I've always sparged with 180 water because that's what my mentor told me to to do. Read the Brulosophy exbeeriment regarding sparge temps, so tomorrow I'm going to brew a Czech pilsner; and sparge water will be warm; not cold, not hot, but warm. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Just an extract batch of lite beer, but picked up a case of vintage labelled bottles: Fall City beer, local brewery that folded in 1978. My dad's favorite.

[...]Read the Brulosophy exbeeriment regarding sparge temps, so tomorrow I'm going to brew a Czech pilsner; and sparge water will be warm; not cold, not hot, but warm. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

End-of-runnings pH is much more important than sparge liquor temperature. Keep it below 5.6 to avoid silicates and excess tannins in the wort...

Cheers!

End-of-runnings pH is much more important than sparge liquor temperature. Keep it below 5.6 to avoid silicates and excess tannins in the wort...

Cheers!

If I had a working pH meter, now....I'm too cheap to buy a good one, the one I have has to be calibrated every darn time and I'm not sure if it's right. I'll play with it tomorrow anyway, thanks.

I’m brewing a Blonde Ale tomorrow.

The goal is to get this recipe dialed in so I can serve it at a charity golf tournament in a few months.
Yea, for the non hop head crowds. [emoji482]

Thinking of using Imperial Flagship yeast for this one.

If I had a working pH meter, now....I'm too cheap to buy a good one, the one I have has to be calibrated every darn time and I'm not sure if it's right. I'll play with it tomorrow anyway, thanks.
@day_trippr is right. pH is what matters, temperature is really irrelevant. Just think, you can boil decoction mashes for hours without extracting tannins or silicates.

If you don't have a working pH meter, but do have some brewing software, you can probably calculate acid additions to reduce the alkalinity of the sparge water to near zero. At that point the pH during sparge should not be a problem. If the pH meter does work, well then just keep the pH of the water below 5.6. Good luck! [emoji482]

I’m brewing a Blonde Ale tomorrow.

The goal is to get this recipe dialed in so I can serve it at a charity golf tournament in a few months.
Yea, for the non hop head crowds. [emoji482]

Thinking of using Imperial Flagship yeast for this one.

I just botched a blonde ale today!!! Mashed in late yesterday and life got in the way and I thought I could let it sit in the cooler over night and boil today! Well I was wrong. I went to vorloft and the most god awful sour smell and it tasted horrible. Oh well, just mashed in a red ale. I will definitely finish it tonight lol

I just botched a blonde ale today!!! Mashed in late yesterday and life got in the way and I thought I could let it sit in the cooler over night and boil today! Well I was wrong. I went to vorloft and the most god awful sour smell and it tasted horrible. Oh well, just mashed in a red ale. I will definitely finish it tonight lol

Sorry to hear that.
Hope your red ale goes much better! [emoji482]

I've had an extra dry, dark Belgian sitting on the yeast for the week I've been gone. In serious kickin' back mode tonight, but tomorrow 5 gallons go in a Balcones bourbon cask, and the other gallon or two are getting bottled.

I get to use my new stainless siphon!

Ok, just filled a 5 gallon bourbon cask, and had enough leftover to fill 8 750ml bottles. I believe this is my first batch of the year, so I'm gonna call it Belgian 2020, as opposed to MD 20/20.
ABV is calculated at 15.87%, had to calculate OG because of sugar feeding during fermentation.

I'll put this away for awhile to see what happens. Now I need to raid the fridge to see what's ready to drink!

EDIT: Just did some notebook updates on this batch, and it's actually the third batch, but who's counting
o_O

Last edited:
Brewed 15 gallons over at a friends on Saturday. He has an older Barley Crusher that we just could not get to grab the grain. Finally I just opened it up wide and ran the grain through. It was a terrible crush, with half the grains still whole, but when we closed it back down and the grain ran through again it worked fine.

Finally bottled them on Sunday. Will be ready to drink on Friday. Right on time.View attachment 668139
I tasted while bottling & it had nice orange aroma with hints of grapefruits. I think the green malt hit right on money with taste and flavours. I'll use green malt more often at least in such ales.

very drinkable. 12 litres already gone. Need to brew again, weekend is near.
I don't calculate priming sugar anymore. Typically I add a tablespoon of sugar directly to the bottle (1 litre coke bottle) before filling it with beer. For less carbonation, simply reduce that amount a bit.
IMG_0830.jpg

I just kegged my cream ale with kolsch yeast today. Also dry hopped my pale ale with citra and simcoe. About to brew my orange pineapple hefeweizen.

I've got two of my four competition entries done; need to do the porter this weekend but slap out of grain. Hoping to get a shopping trip on Saturday and brew Sunday. Going to go with Edwort's recipe again; last time I did it was when my grain mill busted on me, so this one (knock wood) will be much better. Entries are due mid-April, which will give them all some good aging and/or lagering time. Will do an IPA two weeks before so it's fresh.

Sunday I plan to brew a no-boil IPA for a small club contest next month. All hops in it are ones I haven't brewed with before, so fingers crossed.

That sight glass is awesome! Do you have a pic of your whole setup?

Hey man @TandemTails , sorry just saw this. Thanks for the compliment. Here's a pic of my setup before I added the sight glass. I added the sight glass to the top recirc port of the mash tun along with a 1.5" TC 90 deg elbow to orientate the sight glass vertically.

upload_2020-3-6_9-50-17.png

Here's a picture of the sight glass.

upload_2020-3-6_10-10-38.png

Brewed a Dry Irish Stout earlier today. Hit all my numbers almost dead on. Using WLP007 yeast, first evidence of airlock activity started in under four hours.

One thing unexpected though was a cow running through my backyard (the 6th fairway). It was seen running down my quiet street prior to cutting between two houses and onto the fairway. Last seen heading northwest. Police were about five minutes behind.

20200216-162537.jpg
Despite hitting all my pre-fermentation numbers dead on this one didn’t finish where I wanted or expected it to. I was looking for a FG of around 1.010 and it stalled at 1.020. Used WLP007 and fermented a tad cool at around 65-66f. Tried giving it a gentle stir and warming it to 70 for a couple days. Nothing. I then added a half pk of US-05 I had leftover and it dropped another point or so, then stalled again. Going to go with it as is (no choice anyway) and have a sweeter Dry Irish Stout at 3.2% rather than the 4.2% I was hoping for.

Back