So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing 10 gls of belgian blonde ale 10lbs belg pils 10 lbs mars otter 4lbs munich 1lb victory 2lbs corn sugar 4oz's of hallertau 2 ozs of saaz hops. Imperial rustic yeast. come out to 7.4 abv 25 ibu. great ale I have a batch in the fermenter right now. Bottle this weekend after two weeks of fermentation.

I've got three recipes lines up for this weekend, a couple of IPAs and a dampfbier.

But first things first, I need to distill a bunch of 'survival' water; I've got three 7 gallon fermenters full of dirty, brown, previously sweet water that has about 12% of some sort of contaminant in it. I'll strip all that down and then get on with the brewing.

Brewing 10 gls of belgian blonde ale 10lbs belg pils 10 lbs mars otter 4lbs munich 1lb victory 2lbs corn sugar 4oz's of hallertau 2 ozs of saaz hops. Imperial rustic yeast. come out to 7.4 abv 25 ibu. great ale I have a batch in the fermenter right now. Bottle this weekend after two weeks of fermentation.
This recipe sure sounds tasty! Thanks for sharing!!

Excited to try my new recirc/vorlauf setup this weekend. Switched over from a fixed-height copper manifold I had made because I feel like the hot side aeration has been reducing the “pop” of my beers. Gonna start a kettle sour since work-from-home makes it easy to finish up the brew whenever the pH is right.
Adjustments.JPG

Excited to try my new recirc/vorlauf setup this weekend. Switched over from a fixed-height copper manifold I had made because I feel like the hot side aeration has been reducing the “pop” of my beers. Gonna start a kettle sour since work-from-home makes it easy to finish up the brew whenever the pH is right. View attachment 671767
That is a sweet looking setup, looking forward to your results WRT HSA.

Just popped at home during work day to quickly grind malts for tonight. Didn't check and of course my corona mill settings had changed a bit and what came out was pretty flour-ish (or might have been that I went at it at full steam with the drill) so who knows how it comes out. Maris otter, golden promise, crystal 400, DRC and special B.

Brewing a Golden Strong Ale this weekend with the ingredients I have on hand. I’m taking a couple days vacation in conjunction with this weekend. So, maybe I’ll brew twice. I have enough 2-row as a base for two different batches. For specialties and adjuncts it looks like I’ve got some chocolate, flaked oats, flaked rye, and plenty of table sugar. I’m open for ideas on the second batch.

Happy brewing!

In the middle of fly sparging a wcipa.
So far so good...

20200320_131827.jpeg

[edit] Aaaand we're done! FG shy by a point which I'll attribute to using up my Rahr 2-row stash instead of the usual GP (which I'm husbanding a bit). Otherwise it's all good...

wcipa_2_01sm.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Receive WLP006 from the Vault this week. Going to make three batches of BJCP 12A British Golden Ale by just varying different hop combinations. I'm calling one of them SANE-itizer, as I'm hoping it will keep me SANE these days.

Trappist Singel with a shiny-new autosparge. I like it![...]

Love my Autosparge. Especially after I found I could stick a thin flat Buna-N washer between the two toothy bits and once tightened don't have to worry about which orientation the float arm was in. I can set the desired float ball ride height regardless - and quickly adjust even tiny bits if necessary without regard to those teeth.

Highly recommended...

Cheers!

I'm trying to lose the weight I've put on since I started homebrewing, So I'm going to attempt a low-cal IPA.
Found the recipe on line some place, but can't remember where:
4.3% ABV OG 1.032 FG .999
5 gallons

2.75 lbs pale ale
1 lb acidulated
13 oz dextrin malt
13 oz white wheat
13 oz flaked oats

1-2g Magnum FWH

All whirlpool Citra, Eldorado, Sabro
Dry hop w/same

amyloglucosidase added with the yeast, which will probably be a re-pitch of East Midlands ale yeast

The recipe calls for a total of 11OZ of hops and I don't have the Eldorado or Sabro, so I'm going to pare it back and call it a pale ale.

Add 6 g Monk fruit Extract 2 days before kegging

May not be perfect, but will be better than drinking Mich ULTRA

Last edited:
WEIRDNESS
Yesterday I brewed a Duvel clone. Recipe calls for 11.5 pounds of Belgian pils. I used an unlabeled bucket of malt. I only stock Dingemans pils, Dingemans pale, and Simpsons Maris Otter for base malts, and somehow I deduced that this unlabeled bucket was leftover pils. My golden strong ale is definitely not golden! Even if this was Maris Otter, it shouldn't come out this dark, should it?
15848002870983868425547379602640.jpg

WEIRDNESS
Yesterday I brewed a Duvel clone. Recipe calls for 11.5 pounds of Belgian pils. I used an unlabeled bucket of malt. I only stock Dingemans pils, Dingemans pale, and Simpsons Maris Otter for base malts, and somehow I deduced that this unlabeled bucket was leftover pils. My golden strong ale is definitely not golden! Even if this was Maris Otter, it shouldn't come out this dark, should it?
View attachment 672023

Doesn’t look that dark to me. Between the yeast haze and light having to go through 12” of it I think you have something on the lighter side. Next time get a sample in a hydrometer tube before you pitch yeast. That’s a good indicator of what your final product will look like.

Doesn’t look that dark to me. Between the yeast haze and light having to go through 12” of it I think you have something on the lighter side. Next time get a sample in a hydrometer tube before you pitch yeast. That’s a good indicator of what your final product will look like.
Actually it looked good in the tube. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Excited to try my new recirc/vorlauf setup this weekend. Switched over from a fixed-height copper manifold I had made because I feel like the hot side aeration has been reducing the “pop” of my beers. Gonna start a kettle sour since work-from-home makes it easy to finish up the brew whenever the pH is right. View attachment 671767

Gotta ask, where did you get that??? My mash tun has a simple PEX hose with holes drilled in it, attached to the lid, that I use for sparging; something like your setup would be SO much better, as I could drop it down into the mash and possibly increase my efficiency. And from looking at it I could easily attach it. Let me know!!

I brewed a Pliny the Elder clone. 10 gallons, 34 oz of hops when it's all said and done. Pic is when I was adding the Simcoes at 30 minutes. View attachment 672021
Good stuff. I'll be trying a 10 gallon batch of this very soon, and am wondering what you do to manage the huge hop loads in the BK (not familiar with this bag device I am seeing in your BK) and fermenter (conical?), to avoid stuck transfers and allow maximum hop exposure to liquid. Thx and good luck!

A local brewery has a Bo Pils that I have been drinking. Really nice beer. In fact, drinking one right now. Inspired me to try making one--- So, tomorrow, a Czech Premium Lager.

Just finished cleaning mash tun and kettle from yesterday's brew. Trying to decide now between a tripel with tweaks or a wee heavy.
Or maybe just drink a beer.
:mug:

Last edited:
Good stuff. I'll be trying a 10 gallon batch of this very soon, and am wondering what you do to manage the huge hop loads in the BK (not familiar with this bag device I am seeing in your BK) and fermenter (conical?), to avoid stuck transfers and allow maximum hop exposure to liquid. Thx and good luck!
I have a 10 gallon BrewEasy. Bad back, and this makes brewing very simple:)
When I remember to put it in, my Hop Blocker is the ticket for boils and whirlpooling. In the fermenter, I use a hop filter but instead of putting hops in it, I throw the pellets in the beer and use the hop filter as a jacket for my autosiphon. Problem solved when you use a lot of pellet hops for dry hopping!

I had to Google loquats. Looks similar to kumquats? You learn something every day! Thanks @Amadeo38 !!

They’re less oblong than a kumquat and the skin is more like a thick peach skin (fuzzy), less like a citrus. The inside is sweet and tangy and slightly custard but mostly citrus-like. They bloom like crazy in late winter on a ton of trees in this region. Most people don’t eat them so they don’t care if you pick them from their trees when you’re out on a walk in the neighborhood. The wife peeled and de-seeded a pound or so, which I pasteurized and froze until primary ferm is done. Should compliment the 2.0oz or mosaic I’m whirlpooling

I just picked up all the ingredients to brew @Braufessor 's NEIPA. I went with Omega's tropical IPA yeast and golden promise, but I'll be improvising the hops to utilize what I have on hand.

On a side note, Brew & Grow was open today until 5:00 but only two customers at a time were allowed in the store and they were pulling orders. So obviously very little opportunity for chit chat. I miss all of them already and I can't wait for things to return to normal.

Last edited:
They’re less oblong than a kumquat and the skin is more like a thick peach skin (fuzzy), less like a citrus. The inside is sweet and tangy and slightly custard but mostly citrus-like. They bloom like crazy in late winter on a ton of trees in this region. Most people don’t eat them so they don’t care if you pick them from their trees when you’re out on a walk in the neighborhood. The wife peeled and de-seeded a pound or so, which I pasteurized and froze until primary ferm is done. Should compliment the 2.0oz or mosaic I’m whirlpooling
Sounds flippin' gorgeous for a beer.

After my last disaster I'm going back to what I know and trust: Stout with an oatmeal leaning
7 lbs 2-row English Malt
1 lb flaked barley
0.5 lb flaked oatmeal
0.4 lb each of Roasted Barley and Black Patent
2 oz Fuggles
Wyeast 1098 British Ale Yeast (would've used the Irish Yeast, but they were out)
1.052 OG, 33 IBU
Put it in the carboy last night and it just started bubbling this morning. We'll see how it is in 2 weeks.

Back