So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing another batch of my Ballantine IPA resurrection today. Got an earlier start than has been my norm of late, striking at 9 am.

20240114_091245.jpg

Off and running!

[edit] High corn content makes this brew a bit tricky, managed to promptly stick the mash and had to reset it. But made it to the fly sparging, in progress...

20240114_111000.jpg

[edit2] HLT and MLT cleaned while the kettle is in the last third of the boil. Old school hops (Cluster and Brewers Gold and EKG) going in...

20240114_124924.jpg

[edit3]

Big Chill using my Big IC while my PC hangs on the rig below, pretty much abandoned...

20240114_133403.jpg

Next: The Kettle Lautering...

[last edit]

Drawing off the wort through my Hop Stopper V2 sometimes can be challenging, this time it was a piece of cake.

balantine_ipa_3_14jan2024_05.jpg

Ooogy hop mush left behind...

balantine_ipa_3_14jan2024_07.jpg

Gassed up the carboys, and hooked up another pair of kegs for fermentation gas purging...

balantine_ipa_3_14jan2024_06.jpg
balantine_ipa_3_14jan2024_09.jpg

Safely in Fridge #2 next to Monday's Juicy Bits brew...

balantine_ipa_3_14jan2024_08.jpg

Time for a beer! :mug:

Cheers!

Attachments

• balantine_ipa_3_14jan2024_04.jpg
    balantine_ipa_3_14jan2024_04.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Had planned to brew another lager tomorrow since the last one didn't turn out great, but a little surprise in the mail made me change my mind. And now I have a slight moral dilemma; order from YVH arrived tonight, and it's either their idea of a holiday gift or someone in the warehouse goofed. Entire order was sent twice, and I was only charged once. So I just went from a depleted hop freezer to a LOT of my favorite hops. 4lbs Mosaic, and 2lbs each Citra and Crystal. Part of me wants to let them know; for one, to thank them, and two, I know it's a PITA when inventory is off and you can't find the reason why. What would y'all do?
Yeah, I think I’d let them know, and hope they say keep them and thanks for your honesty. 😀 Don’t get me wrong if Walmart made a mistake like that, it wouldn’t even be a dilemma ( although it is a double standard and perhaps says something about my integrity).

Yesterday I brewed a 3 gallon batch of Belgian golden strong, today I’m taking a gallon of the sparged wort adding a little of this and that for about 2 gallons of Dubbel. Maybe 3 we shall see how the numbers work out.

I was cleaning the garage today and, on the spur of the moment, decided to do a quick brew. A couple kg of light dme and a couple ml of cascade co2 extract + some water in my gigawort. I haven't brewed something this simple (or even an extract brew at all) in years. I just pitched w34/70 and hopefully I'll end up with a nice light lager in a few weeks. :cool:

Iteration #2 of AOH Amber. Crystal 45 this time instead of 60 didn't seem to make any difference in color. Fuggles and EKG for UK cred. In the shed now; S-04 gets to be the hero in subzero temps.

Last edited:
Today I’ve brewed 21 litres of Moose Drool Brown Ale. An increase from my first brew of 12 litres.
2400g MO
2000g Munich light
200g Special B
90g Dark Crystal
100g Chocolate Malt
20g Black Malt
12g Chinook @ 60 m
29g Willamette @ 15 m
CML Five yeast.
OG 1050 BHE 73%
I thought I had more dark crystal so I had to part substitute with Special B.

Just mashed in on a small batch of my first ever gluten free Schwarzbier. I'm shooting for the lighter side of the SRM scale because GF grains tend to contribute more roast. Can't wait to see how this turns out...

4L Rice
Munich Millet
Medium Roasted Vienna Millet
Pitch Black Rice
240L Millet

Hallertau Mittelfruh
M84

Brewing a Cream Ale today. Hoping the 15 IBU isn't going to make this taste too sweet. 7% corn sugar will dry it out I guess.

Horton Ridge Organic Pale Ale Malt
1 lb. Corn Sugar the last 10 min. of the boil.
Hallertauer hops.
US-05

Yesterday I finally got my Marzen brewed. Due to severe weather my shipment of ingredients was 5 days late. As a result I brewed it Saturday 1/27/24 four days later than planned. Oh well it is in the fermenter. The fermenter is in the fridge and it is actively fermenting at 55 degrees. Hopefully it will be ready by St Patty's Day.
IMG_20240128_194037413.jpg

Do you need that amount of insulation in California at this time of year?
Not sure, it's just what I've always used and it's worked, so I stick with it. This time of year, where I live, the daytime high temperatures generally range between 55F and 65F, and summer temperatures between 68F and 75F. Over the course of a typical hour long mash the my temperature generally doesn't drop more than 1 or 2 degrees. Yesterday I let the mash go for 2 1/2 hours while I met some friends for lunch and it dropped 4 degrees or so.

I'm boiling on my first batch since returning home. I used the mother of all grants that I built last week and I'm pissed I didn't build this years ago. Lifting 9gals onto a stove top was getting (like me) real old. My back is much happier for it and the six holes they cut in me are still plugged--great success!
36F0AFA0-BD64-4FC0-82E6-A8271A1F048E.jpeg

Cool! What is it?
The grant is the lowest vessel on the left side of the photo. It sits below the MLT and collects runoff. HB scale grants tend to be quite small, the really big ones are a couple gallons. Mine is my trusty old 9gal boil kettle that I've fitted with a bulkhead and an old ball valve--it's comically oversized by HB standards. The pump on the floor in front of the grant then sends the runoff to the right, up onto the stove top, and into my boil kettle.

Previously I ran off my wort into my boil kettle then hefted the 8-9gals in the kettle onto the stove top. I didn't enjoy doing that operation when I was in my early 20s (even then I knew it was stupid), so this is a big advancement for my hooptie brewery and a concession to the fact that I'll turn fifty in a few months.

Today's ordinary bitter is in the fermenter, the brewery is all cleaned up and reloaded with tomorrow's strike and sparge water, both being treated with YOS charges.

I'll get the lager fermenter up and going tomorrow with a pitch of S-189 on a smallish all-malt N. American lager that pays homage to my PacNW roots, I'm calling it Henry Weinhard's Private Parts. When that bit of inspiration hit me last September (at the ripe old age of 49 [going on 13]) I texted a couple of my buddies back home and we all agreed that we were deeply ashamed to not have thought of that sooner. How could a mob of knuckle-dragging imbeciles possibly miss such an obvious, infantile joke?

I suppose Hank's was such an institution in PDX that you didn't really think about dumb stuff like that. It was just Hank's. Kinda like air, you don't think about it, you don't make jokes about it (unless Spokane is involved), you just take it for granted.

And then Miller killed them.

Wheat malt in a Stout... why not? Unusual, but go for it and enjoy the experience and results. For some reason... even though they didn't use wheat, when I read this I thought about Watney's Cream Stout. I might have to clone that soon, since the brewery faded away 25-30 years ago. I loved that beer. That's the 1 that developed my love for Stouts.

Back