Snow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hate winter.

Here is one reason I love to go south for a couple of months.

My porch in the summer: (@pappers who ate dinner there!)
chair_set2.JPG

Today:
winter_porch.JPG

This is the view from my dining room window. Ugh!

Lol Yooper... all we have here is some leftovers from the 5" we got last Monday. Oh, and like -100° windchill.

Gotta love it though, keeps all the riff-raff away.

It's -20 right now, but it's supposed to get up to near 0 today.

It's nice and sunny, because it's too cold for clouds to form, and it's too cold for snow.

Did I mention that I hate winter? :drunk:

I used to like the snow and cold....but the older I get the more I hate winter too!!

That's why I moved to SoCal after graduating from Michigan State. And East Lansing doesn't really get all that much snow. Good luck!

Yep. Pretty much the same way here in NW Georgia... although occasionally it'll stick around for a few days. Funny thing is at the mere MENTION of the word, the stores will be sold out of bread and milk in a few hours. :) Oh, and people panic at the first flake and start driving like idiots.

Yep. Pretty much the same way here in NW Georgia... although occasionally it'll stick around for a few days. Funny thing is at the mere MENTION of the word, the stores will be sold out of bread and milk in a few hours. :) Oh, and people panic at the first flake and start driving like idiots.

That is life in the south. One thing I do like about the winter here, is driving down an old backroad and smelling oak burning from someone's wood heater, reminds me of being a kid. Hah, not really sure where that came from but there is it is anyway.

15F here right now, but wind chill has been as low as -25F here recently.30" of snow so far this year & roads are WEEEEEE!

15F here right now, but wind chill has been as low as -25F here recently.30" of snow so far this year & roads are WEEEEEE!

65 and sunny here in SoCal, with a high of 70. And I'll bet money I'll see people wearing knit caps, scarves, gloves and boots. Anything below 75 is considered cold. I don't think I wore a coat for the first two years after moving here from Michigan, and I didn't know where the furnace was in my apartment.

I saw some blue snow on the ground yesterday. I didn't take a pic cause i figured no one would be interested in that. When commercial airliners are over international waters they can empty their chemical potties. Hence the blue snow. 35,000 feet up that stuff travels a long distance. Ugh.:mad: I hate blue snow.

i saw some blue snow on the ground yesterday. I didn't take a pic cause i figured no one would be interested in that. When commercial airliners are over international waters they can empty their chemical potties. Hence the blue snow. 35,000 feet up that stuff travels a long distance. Ugh.:mad: I hate blue snow.

tinfoil-600x376.jpg

Funny thing is at the mere MENTION of the word, the stores will be sold out of bread and milk in a few hours. :) Oh, and people panic at the first flake and start driving like idiots.

Hah that's not a southern thing...it happens in CT too. Without fail, we get our first snow and I'm like, don't you guys remember this stuff from 8 months ago? Why is this new? And everyone drives around like they've never seen the stuff before.

Yooper when are you going to the coast or have you already went! You are always welcome to stop by for a brew!

No Jeep? So you're leaving for the winter? That's too much damn snow!

I hate the snow.

What most people call a "dusting", I call a "littering". I didn't see snow until I turned 22 and moved to Oklahoma.

I would literally give anything to not see snow anymore...here in good old New England we have cold snowy winters...nothing like you @yooper but I hate it!

I went to college down south and saw snow twice in four years...then before the Mrs. And I got married we were living in delaware for two years and saw snow twice...I miss short sleeve winters!

Normally I enjoy winter, snow, etc. This one has felt colder than normal, or at least seems that way since it has been hovering below freezing for weeks.

I hate cold weather/snow too, but Yooper you practically live at the North Pole so what do you expect! We are seriously thinking of leaving the cold weather (we've been in KS for the last 16+ years where it doesn't snow much but still gets cold), selling the house and moving to the Charleston, SC area as in addition to warmer weather SWMBO wants to be near an ocean again.

I hate cold weather/snow too, but Yooper you practically live at the North Pole so what do you expect! We are seriously thinking of leaving the cold weather (we've been in KS for the last 16+ years where it doesn't snow much but still gets cold), selling the house and moving to the Charleston, SC area as in addition to warmer weather SWMBO wants to be near an ocean again.

I love water! We spend much of our summers on a lake at our cottage,but there are hundreds of inland lakes around our house so sometimes we paddle other lakes or rivers.

But I love saltwater/oceans too! Here's a little video I took yesterday from my kayak:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0nt6qC0GQ_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm probably a couple thousand miles further north than most of you but it's pretty mild, thanks to the gulf stream. We only get more than an inch of snow every few years

Here's a pic I took a couple of days ago at the cathedral, barely any snow as you can see. That's the most we've had this winter

PQD7fuv.jpg

Being able to migrate by season is wonderful.

But you should come visit us in Denver- we can get feet of snow, but it is typically melted within a week or two.

Today we had the kind of snow I love most. 3", made everything very pretty and clean, some people had their Christmas lights still out in the early am (very pretty)- but the roads were clear, it will be 60 Sunday, and I'll be burning a fire in my pit while enjoying a homebrew and cigar. I truly don't know how Midwest folks do it- my in-laws are in Indy- NO WAY.

Enjoy the beach, but really, VISIT CO!!!

I'll even share some home and saved up craft brews.

We had a nice little melt couple of days ago. Maybe 2" yesterday/today. It's a pleasant change from last year when we didn't have a single melt all winter. Still lots of winter left to get snow and Arctic air, but having a few days with temps warm enough to melt a bit breaks up the monotony.

One thing has been strange: I haven't seen a single snowmachine track in my yard yet. Normally the snowmobilers use my side property as part of their road. I haven't heard any of them at night so far. IMO they can ride down the shoulder just as well as driving through my yard. I've considered tying some tin cans together with string and setting it up so that they hook their skis on the string when they drive through.

We're on track to get somewhere between 12-24" here in New England tonight and tomorrow. The blower is on the old tractor, we're stocked up with beer, food and gas for the generator, ready to ride it out.

YES!

It hit 50° here today... wearing nothing but a speedo and tanning goggles.

Portsmouth NH checking in. We're in for a lot of snow, this big Nor' easter is upon us and I'm ready to head home early from work. Icy roads I can handle, Breaking my back shoveling and snowblowing I can handle. Potential power loss and my 5 gallons of citra IPA and 5 gallons of Belgian Golden Strong Ale getting down to basement temps without Fermwraps to keep them happy I CAN NOT HANDLE!!!!

(Hmmmm....How big a generator do I need to power 2 fermwraps...?)

Some sun and clouds and temps in the 40s today. Most of our snow is gone, save for some patches along the roadsides. We'll get a return of winter soon enough, but I'm enjoying this break in the weather.

My thoughts are with those in the northeast. Hunker down...yikes!

Portsmouth NH checking in. We're in for a lot of snow, this big Nor' easter is upon us and I'm ready to head home early from work. Icy roads I can handle, Breaking my back shoveling and snowblowing I can handle. Potential power loss and my 5 gallons of citra IPA and 5 gallons of Belgian Golden Strong Ale getting down to basement temps without Fermwraps to keep them happy I CAN NOT HANDLE!!!!

(Hmmmm....How big a generator do I need to power 2 fermwraps...?)

Checking in from Northern VT.
yeasty.. never be afraid to bring those ferment vessels right up into the bedroom. SWMBO took slight issue but the beer and I agreed and we beat her 2-1.
She understood.
I cold crash naturally in my basement regularly during the fall through spring.

On the topic of snow, we are looking at 3 to 6 inches and possibly much more if the storm path swings north 50 miles.

I am always amazed when people who have lived in this area their whole lives and they panic when 1 foot of snow is predicted in January; In Vermont!
Geez folks, I call it winter......

Latest posts

Back