Smokey Bourbon Porter / Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pozmantv

Reaction score
Hi

I'm planning on making a stout or a Porter and want to add the following;

Smoky flavor
Bourbon Extract.

Questions

1. Porter or Stout?
2. Can I use a bbq product like liquid smoke?
3. Recommendations on type of bourbon extract? Styles / Brands
4. Do I add it at time of bottling or during fermentation?

As always thanks in advance, looking forward to getting some opinions on this one.

I have been looking at doing something along these lines and I am thinking of smoking some of the base malt on my Traeger. Not sure if it will work, or if you have access to a smoker, but it is something I have been toying with doing.

I have been looking at doing something along these lines and I am thinking of smoking some of the base malt on my Traeger. Not sure if it will work, or if you have access to a smoker, but it is something I have been toying with doing.

I don't really have access to a smoker, but I'd imagine it would work pretty good. You could even use a cherry wood chip and put a third flavor through it.

Nice! Hope it works out well for you.

Sweet. How much would you recommend for a 20lt brew?

That is going to be quite subjective. I was brave (or stupid) and just dumped in what I had soaking some cacao nibs, probably around a cup in 3 gallons, not sure really as it was a portion of what I had in the jar with nibs. I dumped the nibs (and bourbon) in a hop sock into the serving keg, lucky for me I think it is really good the way it came out, but I would "recommend" adding to taste when you bottle (or keg).

That is going to be quite subjective. I was brave (or stupid) and just dumped in what I had soaking some cacao nibs, probably around a cup in 3 gallons, not sure really as it was a portion of what I had in the jar with nibs. I dumped the nibs (and bourbon) in a hop sock into the serving keg, lucky for me I think it is really good the way it came out, but I would "recommend" adding to taste when you bottle (or keg).
Haha sometimes doing that is the best way I guess. The best brew I did was a choc stout with espresso. Did the same thing just dumped a pot of espresso in on bottling day and it was fantastic. Thanks heaps

I would recommend you use smoked malt, a sweeter type bourbon, and a robust Porter recipe. I think the acrid taste of many stouts would be overwhelming with too much smoke.

Back