Quantcast

Smokey Bourbon Porter / Stout

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pozmantv

Reaction score
Hi

I'm planning on making a stout or a Porter and want to add the following;

Smoky flavor
Bourbon Extract.

Questions

1. Porter or Stout?
2. Can I use a bbq product like liquid smoke?
3. Recommendations on type of bourbon extract? Styles / Brands
4. Do I add it at time of bottling or during fermentation?

As always thanks in advance, looking forward to getting some opinions on this one.

phofmann

Reaction score
I have been looking at doing something along these lines and I am thinking of smoking some of the base malt on my Traeger. Not sure if it will work, or if you have access to a smoker, but it is something I have been toying with doing.

OP
pozmantv

pozmantv

Reaction score
I have been looking at doing something along these lines and I am thinking of smoking some of the base malt on my Traeger. Not sure if it will work, or if you have access to a smoker, but it is something I have been toying with doing.
I don't really have access to a smoker, but I'd imagine it would work pretty good. You could even use a cherry wood chip and put a third flavor through it.

Nice! Hope it works out well for you.

greyghost

Reaction score
Don't use liquid smoke. You can get smoked malt from a HBS. Breiss has 2 or 3 different smoked malts don't use peat malt. Using a smoker works great.

JDXX1971

Reaction score
I just added real bourbon to a stout and am surprised how smokey it is.

JDXX1971

Reaction score
Sweet. How much would you recommend for a 20lt brew?
That is going to be quite subjective. I was brave (or stupid) and just dumped in what I had soaking some cacao nibs, probably around a cup in 3 gallons, not sure really as it was a portion of what I had in the jar with nibs. I dumped the nibs (and bourbon) in a hop sock into the serving keg, lucky for me I think it is really good the way it came out, but I would "recommend" adding to taste when you bottle (or keg).

OP
pozmantv

pozmantv

Reaction score
That is going to be quite subjective. I was brave (or stupid) and just dumped in what I had soaking some cacao nibs, probably around a cup in 3 gallons, not sure really as it was a portion of what I had in the jar with nibs. I dumped the nibs (and bourbon) in a hop sock into the serving keg, lucky for me I think it is really good the way it came out, but I would "recommend" adding to taste when you bottle (or keg).
Haha sometimes doing that is the best way I guess. The best brew I did was a choc stout with espresso. Did the same thing just dumped a pot of espresso in on bottling day and it was fantastic. Thanks heaps

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend you use smoked malt, a sweeter type bourbon, and a robust Porter recipe. I think the acrid taste of many stouts would be overwhelming with too much smoke.