Slow fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raiderfost

Reaction score
Firrst of all, please excuse me for being a noob. This is only my second batch of beer not made in a Mr. Beer. The first batch of beer I made turned out well and i remember a whole lot of action during fermentation. Lots of movement and airlock was bubbling like crazy for several days. This batcjh has been in the carboy for about 8 days now. The first couple days nothing. On day 3 i saw a good amount of action and airlock bubbled about 6 times a minute. After that day I havent noticed much action and airlock bubbles only about once a minute. Also last time there was alot of foam at the top of the fermenter, this time none at all. Now i dont own a hydrometer so i have no way to take any reeadings. Should i be worried or am i being parinoid? Im brewing a Racer 5 clone and i used White labs ale liquid yeast. Thanks in advance for your help!:confused:

You need to find a shop and get yourself a hydrometer. It's the only way to tell if the beer is done fermenting or even started. The airlock isn't gonna help you at all......

I knew you would say that.

Sorry, but that is the only answer.....You don't know that your fermentation is slow, or fast for that matter, all you know is that your airlock isn't bubbling in a way you THINK it should.

The fact that bubbling has slowed down doesn't mean your fermentation has stalled, it just means that there isn't enough excess co2 for the airlock or the blowoff to need to vent. All either of those are are vents, valves to release excess co2, but it is not a direct gauge of what's happening in your fermenter. Sometimes airlocks never bubble, but they ferment just fine.

It's perfectly normal for fermentation to slow down as the most sugar is consumed initially, but that doesn't mean fermentation is done nor that fermentation is stalled.

There is still more than likely a ton of work that the yeast are still doing behind the scenes, it's just not dynamic.

In fact, all you really know is that your airlock isn't bubbling right now, not anything else. The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" like repitching, or bottling, or racking, without first taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?

The hydrometer is your friend! And it is a more reliable one than your airlock! :mug:

If this an extract batch then your og is really what your recipe says it is. And it should also show what your final gravity should be. So your current grav will be somewhere in between. And the closer to the lower number the closer your beer is to being done.

Back