Sidearms Climbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gx1340

Reaction score
I have a 2nd year Mt Hood plant that is producing many very long sidearms (some ~2ft). A few of these sidearms have managed to start trying to climb the string; wrapping around the string itself as well as the main bine. I didn't notice this until just the other day and one of the sidearms already has a foot or so of vertical growth. My question is: should I pull these sidearms off the string or let them continue to climb upward? My main concern is that if I allow them to continue to grow up the string my main bine will stop it's string climbing activity. Thanks for the advice in advance.

-GX1340

I realized I was answering the wrong question. I tucked mine in back toward the string so they weren't damaged in the strong winds we've had lately.

In my experience, there was no negative outcome to the main bine when the sidearms starting climbing vertically too.

That said, when I was able to keep the sidearms separated, it led to easier hop harvesting down the road!

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back