Hops climbing along top wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archimedes29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm growing hops for the first time. I have multiple varieties and most have reached the top wire. Instead of stopping, they have now started to climb along the wire. Should I just let them be or should I trim them to stop the from continuing? My thought is that trimming the top would make the hops for us more of their energy into filling out.

Hop bines

Hops will keep growing as long and tall as they can. If you cut the bines, they will just grow from a lower leaf. You can fertilize to encourage cone production over vegetative growth, but they will always continue to grow. As far as they know, they are growing for years of survival and want the pollen to spread as far as possible by growing as tall as possible.

You may have to work on trimming the bines back weekly (or more frequently) just to keep the bines from getting tangled with each other and making it harder to harvest separately.

Let 'em go where they want to go! :rock:

This is from 8 years ago when I was still growing Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Fuggles, when they were yielding pounds of dry cones to the vac bagger and freezer. Fortunately that was also the era when WCIPAs and face-ripping IBUs were the rage so I had plenty of material to work with 😁

1689477267566.jpeg

Cheers!

Back