Multiple harvests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been growing a centennial for years now, but I'll be honest and say I don't have much of a green thumb. I usually get decent yields from it, but every year it produces cones in sections at very different rates of maturation. Towards the top will start producing early June, and by mid August they are ready to harvest. But further down the bines will only just start making cones around july, which I imagine will be harvesting in september. Is this pretty normal to have these spurts of cone production, or should it be all at the same time? Again this is the one plant, as I am aware different plants can mature at different times. This year I was diligent about cutting back the bull shoots, and limiting the number of bines to 2 per twine, so 4 total. Climbs to about 12' or so vertically. Plenty of sunlight, and making sure to give it frequent but short waterings.

Also, I'm in MD, our 85°-95° days started nice and early around May, so it's been very hot and humid for it's entire growth.

Back