Shopping for SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkman

Reaction score
My SWMBO is awesome. I've had relationships in the past, not a lot, but I feel pretty confident that my SWMBO is a one in a million find. As such, I'd like to keep her at least content with me so that I dont lose her. :drunk:

That makes brewing pretty risky. She finds it rather annoying. :p

Nonetheless, my SWMBO is reaching a milestone in her (graduate) career. Today she is finishing a solid week of intensive testing, capping off four years of very intense graduate coursework, involving lots of foreign and dead languages. She's been working her booty off, and I couldn't be more proud of her.

We don't have a lot of $$, both being students, but I want to get her something special for finishing up this phase of her studies. I was thinking of getting her something functional and professional, like a leather briefcase to replace her canvas backpack so she can look a little more professional now.

The problem is that I have terrible taste, and she has great taste. I've been looking for professional ladies bags and briefcases all week and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. :drunk:

Is there a more fashion-conscious guy or gal out there in the homebrewtalk forums that could help me? I don't just want my SWMBO to know how excited I am for her, I also want to get her something she likes, for once!

go with coach its $$ but she will love it. i let my swmbo (she is from Perry Hall) get one on our last trip back there. try the outlets in Lancaster or in Rehoboth then you can stop at dogfish head :rockin:

Disclaimer: Man Card in Wallet ; )

BUT ... mine loves her Vera Bradley laptop, commuter bag. Bradley's known for outrageous prints on her bags, but there are a couple of solid black and dark blue ones that are stylish and professional looking. They can run high ($100+) but if you can find a local store doing clearance, you can get them down to about $50. Googles vera bradley laptop bag black
41uz1L7kHZL.jpg

My SWMBO is awesome. I've had relationships in the past, not a lot, but I feel pretty confident that my SWMBO is a one in a million find. As such, I'd like to keep her at least content with me so that I dont lose her. :drunk:

That makes brewing pretty risky. She finds it rather annoying. :p

Nonetheless, my SWMBO is reaching a milestone in her (graduate) career. Today she is finishing a solid week of intensive testing, capping off four years of very intense graduate coursework, involving lots of foreign and dead languages. She's been working her booty off, and I couldn't be more proud of her.

We don't have a lot of $$, both being students, but I want to get her something special for finishing up this phase of her studies. I was thinking of getting her something functional and professional, like a leather briefcase to replace her canvas backpack so she can look a little more professional now.

The problem is that I have terrible taste, and she has great taste. I've been looking for professional ladies bags and briefcases all week and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. :drunk:

Is there a more fashion-conscious guy or gal out there in the homebrewtalk forums that could help me? I don't just want my SWMBO to know how excited I am for her, I also want to get her something she likes, for once!

So are you sure she is going to use this bag? Is she a woman who likes "bags"? Although a very nice gift, if a briefcase/professional bag doesn't fit in her style, its might not get used. Does she cart around a laptop?

OTOH, if she wants a nice handbag (for cell phone, makeup, etc) that might be a better route. Most fine department stores would have something for you. Can't go wrong with the classic styles....

How about a watch or earrings?

So are you sure she is going to use this bag? Is she a woman who likes "bags"? Although a very nice gift, if a briefcase/professional bag doesn't fit in her style, its might not get used. Does she cart around a laptop?

OTOH, if she wants a nice handbag (for cell phone, makeup, etc) that might be a better route. Most fine department stores would have something for you. Can't go wrong with the classic styles....

How about a watch or earrings?

I'm sure she'd love a handbag, too, but she does need a decent professional looking bag for conferences and things and I have more confidence in my picking out a professional bag rather than something that's more fashion-forward.

That phrase wasn't even part of my vocabulary until I met her, if that gives any indication of my trepidation of buying her a bag.

Disclaimer: Man Card in Wallet ; )

BUT ... mine loves her Vera Bradley laptop, commuter bag. Bradley's known for outrageous prints on her bags, but there are a couple of solid black and dark blue ones that are stylish and professional looking. They can run high ($100+) but if you can find a local store doing clearance, you can get them down to about $50. Googles vera bradley laptop bag black
41uz1L7kHZL.jpg

Thanks for putting me on to that. I don't even know designers names.

I'm thinking maybe this one, in black:
http://www.verabradley.com/product/...ultColor/Wine/pc/638/c/0/sc/644/p/1001453.uts

I would just take her to a store and turn her loose, but she's really sensitive about spending my money and wouldn't feel comfortable shopping for herself with my money.

She's freaking awesome.

So if I want her to have something nice, I just have to get it myself.

"I would just take her to a store and turn her loose, but she's really sensitive about spending my money and wouldn't feel comfortable shopping for herself with my money"

She'd rather you pick out something, it shows you spent time thinking about her and what she likes.

Does she typically wear things with patterns? My wife has pretty good style and hates, hates Vera Bradley! If you do go with the VB bag, choose black or espresso. It'll go with more outfits. Ok, im off to go wrench on something or grill a steak; maybe both!

Eh, stay outta jail, I think she'll appreciate you more (as will her folks). I really liked the first link you posted in both black or wine. Granted, you are officially being given the opinion of a woman who: 1. won't spend more than $20 on a purse but just forked out $60 for 12 cases of empty used wine bottles which I have to clean before using.

Yeah so briefcases are pretty much a thing of the past. I got one when I first started my current job about 4 years ago and was surprised to find out that no one carries them. They are a PITA to carry and are not so good for carrying laptops + papers. Even the CEO of my company carries a backpack. Most others either carry a roller bag or a backpack. I think you should get her a really nice leather bound notebook, the kind that takes 8.5/11 notepads. Those always look nice when you show up to a meeting.

I would be really careful buying anything purse/laptop bag/etc. for a gal. It's always tricky to know what exactly she wants. My wife, for example, has several purses but has made it clear she's not into the purposes with the logos vomited all over it (e.g. coach).

What about pre-paying for a day/half day at a spa? You said she's been working really hard so she probably needs it and it would show that you recognize that she's been working really hard. (You can also use the time to brew.)

Gamrchick said:
. . . you are officially being given the opinion of a woman who: 1. won't spend more than $20 on a purse but just forked out $60 for 12 cases of empty used wine bottles which I have to clean before using.

Flirt . . .

I was considering a plate chiller. If I got "[my name] and [her name] forever" inscribed on it do you think she'd like it?

If she didn't I would be surprised. Good luck!

Homercidal said:
I'm too practical to be of any help. I'd tell her to buy something nice AFTER she starts making money with the new knowledge!

Its not money-making kind of knowledge, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

My SWMBO is a big fan of the Vera Bradley. She has several purses by her along with a Nook Color case and prolly other stuff that my eyes glaze over at the thought of... My daughter even has a wallet by her. When I need to get her a gift of this sort, I consult with my sister. SWMBO has no sisters of her own so she has glommed on to mine and they talk nearly every day. She is also a big VB fan and so will point me in the right direction.

Does she have a sister or close friend whose brain you can pick for help with your purchase?

If she's currently using a backpack and not complaining about it, how about a professional looking backpack laptop carrying case?

like this:
http://www.gotbriefcases.com/mobile...ack.html?cvsfa=2620&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=4d45425057

Not sure how strong she is, but if you get her the handbag style, it might be too heavy to carry long distances. Especially if she's cramming all sorts of papers and such into it.

... But the spa idea was great. Does she like getting her nails/toes done? Is she meticulous about her hair cut and coloring? If so, a gift cert at x dayspa may be the golden ticket.

How about a massage?

You could also cook her favorite meal (if you're into cooking, and she's into eating what you cook). It's a less expensive but still sincere gesture.

Does she ever comment on some activity that she's always wanted to do? That'd be a fun surprise. 'Hey look, I bought you a skydiving ticket! Congrats on your degree!'

jk on the skydiving part. : )

Back