Shipping yeast in the summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
I ordered a couple kits from Jasper's a week and a half ago and the notification said to expect delivery on Monday. It's now the following Sunday and I'm hoping it will show up tomorrow, a week later.

My question is.... Will the dry yeast hold up OK during a long, hot shipment? From what I could find, liquid yeast would be much more affected than the dry but I still wondered if there was any cause for concern. Thanks!

So what about liquid yeast? I ordered some beer supplies last week that included Wyeast 1187 Ringwood ale yeast. The shipment sat in a UPS warehouse all weekend and it arrived today. The ice pack was warm and the yeast was 81 degrees. Will that harm the yeast?

So what about liquid yeast? I ordered some beer supplies last week that included Wyeast 1187 Ringwood ale yeast. The shipment sat in a UPS warehouse all weekend and it arrived today. The ice pack was warm and the yeast was 81 degrees. Will that harm the yeast?

Yeast will likely be fine, go ahead and do a starter to proof the yeast.

She surely has suffered from that hot travel ordeal.
You better make a starter with that to prove she's still viable, and ramp up the cell count.

Ice packs are likely melted by the time the yeast package leaves the vendor's warehouse or arrives at the shipper's distribution center. The best you can hope for they provide some temperature buffering.

Yes, the HB stores are fine, it is the Postal companies that are having issues. I quit buying liquid yeast until they can get their act together. I am better off driving 2 hours to the HB store if I really want liquid yeast than trusting USPS or Canada Post here in Canada.

I used to be a ups driver and can give you guys an idea of what it's like in the trailers and package cars this time of year. During the summer it felt like I was sitting against an oven while driving a ups truck. Some guys would stick thermometers in the back. Management would take them out if they found them. The back of the trucks get to be about 120f. The trailers are probably the same. Packages can sit in those trailers for up to 5 days. And that's before the kung flu hit. Now packages can sit in those trailers up to 2 weeks depending on how busy the ups center is. During the winter those trucks and trailers freeze. I would have to imagine the usps and fedex are the same.
Just keep that in mind when you guys order perishables.

It's a complex combination of the peak temperatures mentioned by Oldpaddy, sustained periods at above-optimal-but-not-lethal temperatures, and variation from strain to strain.

First you have to remember that the ideal temperature for most yeast to grow is around 28-30°C (82-86°F), we only brew at lower temperatures to reduce off-flavours.

You also have to remember that in the wild most yeast survive Mediterranean-type summers in dried form on the bark of a grapevine or fruit tree, waiting for the rain to come that will wash them onto the fruit. So dried yeast are much more hardy than wet yeast, tolerating greater extremes of temperature and losing viability at a much lower rate than wet yeast. In the fridge dry yeast lose viability at a rate of <5% per year, I've made bread with dried bread yeast that spent nearly 20 years at room temperature.

The usual lethal temperatures are quoted as 37°C (99°F) for lager yeast and 42°C (108°F) for ale yeast but that will vary depending on strain. I'd guess eg kolsch yeast will die at 5-10° below the ale norm, whereas saisons will be good for 5-10° higher, and kveik are probably good for who knows, 50°C (122°F)?????? Dry yeast can probably add another 10° or so to the limit for their wet equivalent, and on the other end can survive freezing in a way that wet yeast struggle with.

So your yeast won't have been harmed by being at 81°F in itself, but you have to make a bit of a judgement call on what temperatures it will have been exposed to in its journey to you, if the retailer is in Alaska it will have a different thermal history to a packet sent from Arizona. But you can see why people in the southern US avoid ordering liquid yeast in particular in the summer. We're pretty lucky from that point of view in the UK, in a typical year we only get a week or two at best above 32°C (90°F), but I did delay an order last week because we were in that territory. It's obviously preferable to mostly transport yeast when the temperature is more like say 10°C (50°F). Conversely, you don't want to expose wet yeast to a risk of freezing, so the middle of winter is out.

It also helps to avoid yeast being stuck in depots over the weekend. Obviously it depends a bit on the efficiency of the retailer which you can only figure out by experience (and forum chat) but if they have a quick turnround then the best time to order is on a Sunday so that it's first out the door on Monday and it has the whole working week to get to you. If they're slower then it may be best to order on Thursday or Friday for a Monday/Tuesday dispatch - you soon get to know who is efficient or not.

If you're worried then it's always a good idea to do some kind of starter with liquid yeast, even if it's just a quick vitality starter on the day.

Back