Seeking feedback on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angrybits

Mountain Medicine Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the recipe:

9 lbs Light DME
0.75 lbs Crystal 120
0.5 lbs American Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs American Chocolate
0.5 oz Warrior (60 min)
Nottingham Ale Yeast (or US-05 potentially, haven't decided yet)

Trying to figure out how much malt to use for the boil and how much to add at the 15 minute mark (or even flameout I suppose). I know there is some dispute about gravity affecting utilization, but I dont know enough about the subject to have an opinion really. Since I have a 3 lbs bag and a 6 lbs bag, I was going to do the 3 lbs for the boil and the 6 lbs at the end. Or should it be the other way around maybe? Or is the hop amount I am using so low that it doesn't even matter?

EDIT: Planning on a 2g boil

Any feedback is welcome. I am not losing sleep over it or anything but I am curious what the more experienced among us have to say on the matter.

Cheers!

So what you are trying to do is keep your boil gravity consistent with a full boil gravity. So if you were to be doing a full boil with your entire water volume, and all of your malt extract, what would your gravity be?

To make things simple if you are brewing a 5 gallon batch, but you want your boil will only be a full 2 gallons, then use about 1/3-1/2 of your extract in the boil.

FWIW, it seems as though you are brewing a stout according to your recipe, so you have alot of room for error since your roasted grains will mask many foul-ups.

Do as much research here on late extract additions, it will improve your understanding of the rationale behind the late extract addition method. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you are brewing a more hop forward beer--beginning about the APA/ Am Amber styles.

Good luck, seem as though you are on the right path.

Cheers!

So what you are trying to do is keep your boil gravity consistent with a full boil gravity. So if you were to be doing a full boil with your entire water volume, and all of your malt extract, what would your gravity be?

To make things simple if you are brewing a 5 gallon batch, but you want your boil will only be a full 2 gallons, then use about 1/3-1/2 of your extract in the boil.

Well when you put it that way it seems so obvious. :D

FWIW, it seems as though you are brewing a stout according to your recipe, so you have alot of room for error since your roasted grains will mask many foul-ups.

Do as much research here on late extract additions, it will improve your understanding of the rationale behind the late extract addition method. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you are brewing a more hop forward beer--beginning about the APA/ Am Amber styles.

Good luck, seem as though you are on the right path.

Cheers!

Really appreciate the input here. I am just now starting to brew in a manner where I simply assemble ingredients as needed, and I am finding that there are tons of idiosyncrasies to work through when I dont have step-by-step instructions holding my hand.

Cheers!

Back