Ugh. Some how I managed to add 0.75 lbs acid malt, not 0.75 oz. What is this going to do to my milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was intended to be a Peanut Butter Stout and I was planning on adding PB2 and real peanut butter ( in secondary as I want to compare to the beer without PB).
The only time I tried PB2, I put it secondary and got an infection. Using regular peanut butter isn’t usually done since the peanut oil kills foam/head retention. Sorry, not sure what’s going to happen with the extra acid malt in there, but it might be ok.

The only time I tried PB2, I put it secondary and got an infection. Using regular peanut butter isn’t usually done since the peanut oil kills foam/head retention. Sorry, not sure what’s going to happen with the extra acid malt in there, but it might be ok.
I figured I would sacrifice head retention for flavour. It was experimental and the peanut butter aspect is great. Definitely lost most of the foam but it doesn't break the beer in my opinion as mouthfeel is still there. I was hoping to save on the PB2 but combining the peanut butter was a pain and probably won't do that again. I just boiled some wort when the fermentation had slowed down a lot and added the peanut butter to sanitize it, then threw it back in the fermenter. I definitely needed more liquid for it to be an easier process.

The acid malt made it a sour stout, which is weird. It's drinkable, but not enjoyable.

For some reason I didn't get any notices there were responses on this thread. Thanks everyone who responded. The beer isn't the worst thing I have tasted but not worth drinking unfortunately. I wasted a lot of peanut butter on it. I am going to attempt it again next month and am wondering if I can use oats to mimic the creaminess and just scrap the oat milk powder. That stuff was half the problem. Or maybe even brew with soy milk and reduce water. Given I don't eat dairy not sure how to get the milk sweetness part of it without lactose. I was thinking of waiting for the yeast to do its thing and then add a liquid sugar. Thoughts? if the yeast is tired will it ferment out all the sugar?

Mash warm, increase your OG to compensate for the higher FG and maybe add some maltodextrin and oats for mouthfeel. Sweetness you can add with something like medium or dark crystal malt. The right (or maybe I should say wrong) balance in crystal malt can even give butterscotch/diacetyl impressions, which you could call milky.
Higher FG, maltodextrin and caramel malt-sweetness give a better flavour in my opinion than lactose ever will. If I even use lactose, I will only use a small amount and do the rest with the techniques described above.

FWIW I like sour stout, but I wouldn't make it a PB stout. Rather something like cherries or raspberries if you want to make it more interesting.

Mash warm, increase your OG to compensate for the higher FG and maybe add some maltodextrin and oats for mouthfeel. Sweetness you can add with something like medium or dark crystal malt. The right (or maybe I should say wrong) balance in crystal malt can even give butterscotch/diacetyl impressions, which you could call milky.
Higher FG, maltodextrin and caramel malt-sweetness give a better flavour in my opinion than lactose ever will. If I even use lactose, I will only use a small amount and do the rest with the techniques described above.

FWIW I like sour stout, but I wouldn't make it a PB stout. Rather something like cherries or raspberries if you want to make it more interesting.
Thanks. I really appreciate the info. Do you think I would need to mash higher than 158? I just ask because my spike solo is challenging to keep at specific temperatures and 158 keeps me from jumping up to mid 160's

I can see the sour working with a fruit stout.

Thanks. I really appreciate the info. Do you think I would need to mash higher than 158? I just ask because my spike solo is challenging to keep at specific temperatures and 158 keeps me from jumping up to mid 160's

I can see the sour working with a fruit stout.
No I generally keep to 69°C/156.5°F, but I think 70/158 would probably work as well. I have yet to try anything higher, but I've seen those around as well. I think as a starting point that's a nice place to begin and you can always choose to go lower next time. Higher could be a bit challenging for you, but I wouldn't try that anyway unless going full vegan pastry (Imperial) stout I think. I did once though, great beer but very sweet. Needs a lot of time to condition and I can't even finish a 25 cL bottle on my own. Do also remember to adjust your IBUs and/or roast somewhat in any case if you're making a sweeter beer. That will help keep it from getting too cloying.

No I generally keep to 69°C/156.5°F, but I think 70/158 would probably work as well. I have yet to try anything higher, but I've seen those around as well. I think as a starting point that's a nice place to begin and you can always choose to go lower next time. Higher could be a bit challenging for you, but I wouldn't try that anyway unless going full vegan pastry (Imperial) stout I think. I did once though, great beer but very sweet. Needs a lot of time to condition and I can't even finish a 25 cL bottle on my own. Do also remember to adjust your IBUs and/or roast somewhat in any case if you're making a sweeter beer. That will help keep it from getting too cloying.
Thanks. I would have likely forgotten about IBU's. I brew a porter/stout hybrid at 158 on occassion and it works out nicely, but sometimes the temp gets too high (my spike system on 120V is really inconsistent, particularly during the winter in the uninsulated shop). I botched a batch not that long ago.

Back