Scratting with a grout/paint mixer and drill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elodar

Reaction score
Hey gang. I just finished building my press with a shop press and 5 gallon buckets. Now I have to figure out how to shred the apples. I think I remember reading about someone shredding the apples in a 5 gallon bucket with a grout/paint mixer and a drill. Does anyone have experience with this? I also believe I read that they froze the apples first, then defrosted them before trying to shred them to make the apples softer. Does this sound right? I appreciate the help.

Having rebuilt my press several times in my life and helped a friend build one from scratch I would say that using a paint or drwall mixer would be a difficult undertaking to obtain the size of shred that I typically desire from a shredder/scratter. I really suggest if you can, take a look at one online and glue up some boards and make one. We built the last one in a few days during our down time and used stainless steel screws into a wooden cylinder that we turned on the lathe. Other methods are using a garbage disposal removed from a sink, or even a washmachine tub with the holes punched through creating a sharp burr. Spend some time on google looking up apple scratter and shredder and you'll be filled with good ideas. If you like I can get some pics of my press and the home made one we built. Happy Cidering

Latest posts

Back