Best way to get good apples on a budget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Lopez

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have taken a few year hiatus from brewing as a result of a series of personal things but Im getting back into it now. I bought a used keg (adventure by itself), a few ingredients, a bucket, and a (small) press. Making a leap with my first 5 gallon batch and going to start an experimental spanish cider in a 1 gallon batch. I was hoping to start pressing my own juice, but as Im looking at the more easily available price of apples, it seems like a 5 gallon batch may cost me 100 bucks to make. Even if it lasts me six months it doesn't feel quite right (not to mention I have no idea how it'll come out).
Any advice is much appreciated.

Also if anyone knows any good wholesalers, or orchards, I live in the Raliegh Durham area, willing to drive a bit especially if I'm only doing it once every few months sort of an arrangement.

Thanks again!

Find a commercial orchard and ask if you can have their windfalls.
Look around at peoples gardens and ask if they use their apples.
If you have community webpage ask on there most people with an apple tree pick a few but leave the rest.
A good mix of different apples makes better cider than one type.

Find a commercial orchard and ask if you can have their windfalls.
Look around at peoples gardens and ask if they use their apples.
If you have community webpage ask on there most people with an apple tree pick a few but leave the rest.
A good mix of different apples makes better cider than one type.
By commercial do you mean one that isnt open to the public or an apple picking orchard?

I'd try all options, there's a thing in England called gleaning and websites show where you can go and do this. For example wandering over a field after potato harvest and you can pick up the leftovers.

By commercial do you mean one that isnt open to the public or an apple picking orchard?
A pick your own orchard in my area allowed me to pick all the apples I wanted for $5 box after their season ended in November. Some were on the ground, but some were still on the trees.
There was limited selection, but tons of apples still there. Other local growers sell “seconds” for about $8/bushel. Seconds are apples that have imperfections or weird shapes, but sometimes they include under ripe fruit, which you want to avoid. A local grower used to have heirloom varieties that made a decent cider, which I gladly paid their full $20/bushel price, but over the years all those trees have been replaced for the new trendy varieties.
Also check FB marketplace, you can sometimes get apples for cheap or even free. Not all apples make good hard cider though, red delicious apples, for example, make a very bland hard cider and if you use Granny Smith, it will be very acidic. A blend of about 10 varieties works for me.
I like to let the apples age for 30-60 days in a cool place before milling for cider. They’ll get softer and the flavors will develop somewhat.

Back