Saving Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanaandy

Reaction score
I made a starter to add to the Wyeast liquid yeast that I was using for my latest brew (Irish Ale yeast for a stout). Followed the Palmer recipe in his book and used a 1/2 gal. growler with a stopper + airlock to store. It came together nicely in the growler and was left for about 24 hours at room temp before pitching into the cooled wort. No activity for the 1st 7+ hours but sometime last night it took off and now there is a really nice amount of foam and activity going on. Really looks healthy & nice and I am sold on the idea of using a starter with my liquid yeast.

My question is this - how do I go about saving starter so that I have some on hand for each batch and don't have to cook up a new batch each time I brew? Is it better to start from scratch each time? Do different brew types (i.e. stout versus pale ale) require making starter out of different material (i.e. dark DME versus light)? Thanks, Montanaandy

always make it with extra light or light dme that way you know the starter is clean.

it may be a personal preference though..

Back