Sanke Keg issue: Coupler is loose and leaky when tapped. Spins easily

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HOoT_oWL

Reaction score
I went through C02 crazy fast on this keg. I noticed when I tapped it its loose and spins pretty easily. Then I noticed its leaky and the more I messed with it the more it leaked, UNLESS I put downward pressure on it which slowed or stopped the leak. Also I think the stem(s) is spinning when coupled.

I swapped the coupler: same thing =spins and leaks

I swapped the stem thingy: same thing = spins with coupler

I examined the seals they are all there and don't look bad.

My question is : what could make these couplers spin so easily when tapped???

CHeers and thanks for the assistance

Last edited:
OP
HOoT_oWL

HOoT_oWL

Reaction score
Are you sure the keg type matches your coupler? The type D and S are visually pretty close but won't work interchangeably
I will check the keg. Its an old AB Keg. I have 2 of them and I know one of them worked fine but I'm not sure if this is the same one. Good thinking, I'll Check for type -- Do you know where it would say???

OP
HOoT_oWL

HOoT_oWL

Reaction score
Sounds like a missing/damaged seal to me. I know you said you checked the seals on the coupler but is the spear seal still there and intact?
I tried multiple couplers after checking them. Highly unlikely but still possible. I'll check the keg type first and then move toward checking the couplers again.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I excluded the coupler as the cause.

I was cleaning kegs and tried to replicate this.

I don't have any type S kegs so I can't speak to that, but I was able to get a similar result two ways.

1. Retainer clip missing
2. Missing large oring on spear.

Here is a pic of the two in case my terminology isn't accurate. With either one of these missing I could get an easy to spin coupler.

15341143737183925253263179898996.jpg

OP
HOoT_oWL

HOoT_oWL

Reaction score

I don't have any type S kegs so I can't speak to that, but I was able to get a similar result two ways.

1. Retainer clip missing

Here is a pic of the two in case my terminology isn't accurate. With either one of these missing I could get an easy to spin coupler.

View attachment 583388

I really appreciate you taking the time to check that out. I have the seal and the retainer clip. It must be an S type keg. I guess I should buy an S type coupler for an easy fix, or aerate my beer by putting in another keg.

OP
HOoT_oWL

HOoT_oWL

Reaction score

1. Retainer clip missing

View attachment 583388

So today I swapped out one of my 5 gal keg stems AND Wa La it fits properly. I now remember that these old AB kegs had a plastic ring/gasket that went under the rubber o-ring, but its lost.

I need to figure out what i'll do for future beers. Maybe I can try and put the 2 o-rings together to space better, but I'd prefer to buy some of those original gaskets. Any clues on where to find them???