Rye malt & Flaked Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahpsp

Reaction score
I asked this earlier on the Ingredients forum, but got no responses. The short question: does one pound of rye malt have enough/any diastatic power for one pound of flaked rye?

I'm brewing an extract saison with rye tonight. At the LHBS yesterday they only had one pound of rye malt, which I picked up, but they also had a pound of flaked rye that I got. I did not get any base grains. It seems from my subsequent reading that flaked rye needs to be mashed. Does the pound of rye malt I bought have sufficient diastatic power to convert the starches in all (or some) of the flaked rye I have?

I asked this earlier on the Ingredients forum, but got no responses. The short question: does one pound of rye malt have enough/any diastatic power for one pound of flaked rye?

I'm brewing an extract saison with rye tonight. At the LHBS yesterday they only had one pound of rye malt, which I picked up, but they also had a pound of flaked rye that I got. I did not get any base grains. It seems from my subsequent reading that flaked rye needs to be mashed. Does the pound of rye malt I bought have sufficient diastatic power to convert the starches in all (or some) of the flaked rye I have?

One pound of rye malt should have diastatic power to convert itself, as well as a pound of flaked rye.

Great, thanks! Should I do more of a mini-mash, i.e. for a longer time, instead of a steep? I have iodophor, but I'm colorblind, so the starch test is tough for me.

Just thought I'd check back in on this. Since my wife was here I asked her to help with an iodine starch test at a little over half an hour, and we had complete conversion. Temp was ~150.

Good job! If your grains are milled or crushed fine, you might find that you have complete conversion in less time than that. Conversion can go pretty quickly.

One pound of rye malt should have diastatic power to convert itself, as well as a pound of flaked rye.
Sort-a-may-be

Depends on who's rye malt you're using.

Briess has a diastatic power of 105, but Weyermann is 62. Should still work, but it's close. I believe you want an average of 35 Lintner minimum.

Weyermann
Briess

Back