Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Use it! (don't worry)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • DON'T USE IT!!!

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jose Sierra

Reaction score
Hi!

From my last brew/bottling day I used Oxiclean to clean all my brewing equipment instead of PBW. This weekend I intend to bottle the batch that is fermenting right now, and while I was making sure I had everything ok, i noticed my bottle caper got rusted.

Do you guys recommend using it, or should I run to my local brew shop and try to get another one? (PS. running to my local brew shop is kind of far/complicated).

IMG_5478 (1).jpg

As long as the rust doesn't touch the bottle or the part of the cap that touches the bottle you should be okay.

I'd try to clean that rust out with some kind of rust remover, like maybe Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend then coat the inside of the bell with candle wax if you can. If you leave the rust you're going to end up with the caps getting stuck in there.

Donate it to the bottle capper museum and start kegging. :rock:

yeah i agree, kegging has made brewing so much more enjoyable. but the price jump is pretty hefty plus space.

I would buy a new one and get one that is like a stand. i have broken so many bottle necks with the clam style.

Some steel wool will clean that rust in a jiffy. I would, though, recommend getting a benchtop capper like the Ferrari, it is an upgrade you will never regret. Keep that wing capper as a backup.

i just said the same thing! this is something i want one day for beers i enter in a comp or give to friends.

I'd try to clean that rust out with some kind of rust remover, like maybe Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend then coat the inside of the bell with candle wax if you can. If you leave the rust you're going to end up with the caps getting stuck in there.

+1
I wouldn't use it with the rust as shown - bottle caps will stick and probably pull up slightly when you force the capper off. Clean up the rust or replace the bell.
Note: I voted "No", but still think it can be repaired.

+1
I wouldn't use it with the rust as shown - bottle caps will stick and probably pull up slightly when you force the capper off. Clean up the rust or replace the bell.
Note: I voted "No", but still think it can be repaired.

It might be too late, but I got thinking about this again. I doubt if you could get the rust cleaned and get the surface smooth enough to work. If it's even a little rough I believe it would hang up when you remove it from the cap. I had a capper problem that I wasn't aware of until I opened the can and found it was under carb'd (pretty much flat). It can pull on the cap just enough to break the seal.

Last edited:
I have that exact capper and it's somewhat rusted...but not as bad as that...I use it occasionally and it sticks a tiny bit but not more than usual

Back