Reusing Slurrey from Stout to Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TR6

Reaction score
I have been using slurry from our local microbrewery for about a year to make beer with muntons and coopers kits (malt in a can). The improvement in quality is awesome. The next step in my brewing experience is to harvest the slurry from the bottom of my carboy and repitch in my next batch. I went from a highly hopped Muntons Premium Bitter kit and repitched to an more lightly hopped Muntons Premium Irish Stout kit. Given the apparent success of this (the stout is still in the primary but working rather well), I would like to reuse the stout in an amber.

Most of what I read is that you should go from a lighter less flavored beer to a highly hopped darker beer.

Has anyone gone the other way? I would like to pitch the stout yeast to a relatively lightly hopped amber. What were your results?

If you rinse the yeast of the hop debris and left over stout, you should have no problem with reusing the yeast for a lighter beer. Start ahead of your brew day because you will lose some yeast in the rinsing process and may need a starter.

Back