Questions regarding final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwaffles

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed a Cream Ale based off of a NB kit that i just got the ingredients from my LHBS and the hydro reading was 1.050 at 73 degrees right before I pitched the yeast. It has been 2 weeks and the reading last nite was 1.030. There has been no active fermentation in about a week but the first week was vigorous! Lots of krausen?sp in carboy. Do I need to repitch some yeast or just wait another week or two and do more testing? 1.030 seems a little high and the beer tasted good but on the sweet side.

I am in no hurry to bottle just want to make sure I get the best that I can. I also have 3 other brews going right behind that one. :ban:

Wait it out. Just because the vigorous bubbling is done doesn't mean fermentation is over. Let it sit another week and check. If it is still at 1.030, then you stay looking for why it stalled. Right now you're probably not stalled, the yeast are just taking their sweet time.

+1 on SittingDuck's post. If it is stalled you can either wait until it ferments out, GENTLY stir it up to rouse up the yeast from the bottom (more time will be needed this way, obviously), or pitch new yeast. I, personally, would give it a few more days and see if the gravity changes.

Did you degas the sample before you checked it? Pour your sample back and forth between two cups 10-20 times then take a hydro reading. But I agree with SittingDuck and Vinny. Give it time.

I did not degas. I was not aware that I needed too. I will take another sample tonite and check it. I am out of town for 4 days next week so if it will probably have to sit for at least another week before I have time to bottle it if it is ready. Thanks for the responses I am loving getting back into brewing again!

Latest posts

Back