What is a good Final Gravity for a dark Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Keven

Reaction score
Hello, I recently got into homebrewing and am just about ready to bottle my first homebrew. I used the following kit:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/saison-de-noel-limited-edition-extract-kit
Starting gravity came in at 1.070 and the Final gravity reading right before transferring into secondary was 1.006. This was only in 2 weeks time which makes me a bit concerned on if it maybe got infected. I used the Wyeast 3711 which I've heard is a pretty strong yeast strain. Any clarification would be appreciated

Your numbers look good to me. Wyeast reports 77-83% attenuation with that strain, but you're higher than that. I've used it before (maybe 5 years ago?) and got over 90% attenuation which agrees with your data. Check the gravity in another day or two, it should stabilize soon.

If the yeast have been actively fermenting and the vessel has been sealed the whole time, it would be hard for it to get infected.

I'm not surprised at all. 3711 is highly attenuative yeast strain, and a fair amount of your fermentables are highly fermentable, i.e. the candi syrup and the corn sugar. Also, 3711 is a diasataticus strain that may continue to break down what would normally be unfermentable dextrins (for non-diastaticus strains), so make sure your FG has really settled before packaging.

Back