Question regarding temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I have a batch fermenting in a bucket in my closet. It has been there for about 10 days now, and the airlock has gone silent so my guess is it is done fermenting but I have not done a gravity test on it as of yet. My question is, in our area the temp is going to be in the high 70's low 80s for the next few days. Would it be smart, even though it appears my fermentation is pretty much done, to move the bucket to my new fermentation temp fridge? If so, what would be a good temp for it. I used Cellarscience Cali yeast if that matters for the answer. It is a pale ale style beer. My other comment is that it fermented at the top range of the spectrum even hitting 73 degrees for short periods of time during the week long fermentation. So, with that said, I am not sure if the beer is even any good, but want to give it as best a chance as I can to finish off so I can dry hop next week and bottle or keg it after that.

You need temperature control during the active fermentation as the yeast will give off heat then and raise the temperature of the beer to be out of the preferred range which will lead to more ester production and possibly fusel alcohol. Once the fermentation is near completion the ester production and fusel alcohol will have been completed so the temperature doesn't really matter anymore.

I wouldn't write off this batch of beer, depending on when the temperature got up to 73 and for how long. Your next batch will likely be better if you can control the fermentation temperature but you will have beer to drink as you wait for that next batch.

You need temperature control during the active fermentation as the yeast will give off heat then and raise the temperature of the beer to be out of the preferred range which will lead to more ester production and possibly fusel alcohol. Once the fermentation is near completion the ester production and fusel alcohol will have been completed so the temperature doesn't really matter anymore.
Awesome. thank you. I might try a gravity reading in the next day or two, but life is going to get in the way. LOL.

Awesome. thank you. I might try a gravity reading in the next day or two, but life is going to get in the way. LOL.
No worries if life gets in the way. People have mentioned getting a grassy flavor if the dry hops are left in too long but I have never tasted that even with dry hopping for more than 2 weeks so it may depend on the variety of hops.

No worries if life gets in the way. People have mentioned getting a grassy flavor if the dry hops are left in too long but I have never tasted that even with dry hopping for more than 2 weeks so it may depend on the variety of hops.
Perfect, thanks. I am going on a weekend golf/drinkfest so I won't be able to dry hop until I get home. 3 or 4 days of dry hop and in either the keg or bottles and on to my next brew. Rock On!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back