Question about re-using hop bags.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
I bought a couple of grain/hop bags with the draw string for my first 5 gallon batch. They seem slightly easier to work with. I had my grains in one and I used 2 others for my hops. Are these re-usable? I was under the impression they were but just wanted to make sure before I use them again. I soaked them in water after I was done using them but they stained from use so I thought I would ask. Thanks for the advice.:rockin:

Sure, you can use them again, no problem. I rinse mine well, turn them inside out and put them through the dishwasher in the top shelf. I had a great big one for fruit pulp for wine that I put through the washer and dryer along with my dish towels. Still stained, but clean!

I rinse mine and soak them in StarSan between brewings. They do weaken over time though, last time I brewed I had one develop a hole and got a lot of hops in the wort. They do cause you to get less hops utilization so you may need to use a little more hops to get the amounts right with a bag.

I have some hop bags that are made of nylon. If this is the type you are talking about, then yes, they are reusable. I have also used grain bags that are made of a stretchable cotton fabric, or something like that, that are not meant to be reused. Once the grains are steeped, they get thrown out, spent grains and all.

I've been using 1 gallon paint strainer bags that I suspend into the pot. I've been throwing them out, but wondered.........Do you all reuse those too?

I use the 5 gallon paint strainers hooked up to a pvc with bolts so it suspends over my pot. I just hose out the bag inside out and spritz it with Idophor when I reuse it again. Since it is going in a boil I would imagine I don't need to sanitize it, but it doesn't take but a second to do so.

I've been using nylon hop bags and grain bags from my LHBS, but I just bought a pack of 5 gallon paint strainers that I plan to try next time. I'll wash and reuse until the fall apart, like I do with the LHBS bags.

I reuse nylon ones. They get stained but do not seem to hold smells if you clean them while they are still wet.

I have been reusing the same Nylon bag for years. I just rinse it well, then when everything dries I shake it all out.

It used to be my grain steeping bag when I was doing extract, now i use it for hops.

I don't sanitize it. It goes in the boil so no worries.

I use two nylon hop bags. I rinse them well immediately after brewing and just pop them in the wash (alone).

Back