Dry hop bag question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaisonMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, all. I’ve started dry hopping with a bag, using sanitized marbles to help it sink. How far do I want the bag to sink? All the way to the bottom? Somewhere mid-fermenter? Or should I lose my marbles (🙄) and let it float on top? I’m wondering if the placement affects how much hop aroma is in the end product.

Let it sink to the bottom. The hop oils that get extracted will float up so saturation isn't reached at the bottom, if that's what you're thinking about. I usually just dump the hops in and let them do their thing, since I use pellet hops.

Let it sink to the bottom. The hop oils that get extracted will float up so saturation isn't reached at the bottom, if that's what you're thinking about. I usually just dump the hops in and let them do their thing, since I use pellet hops.
Thanks. I used to throw them in too but they started gumming up my kegging operation. Now I put them in a bag.

Thanks. I used to throw them in too but they started gumming up my kegging operation. Now I put them in a bag.
You know how much hops expand when wet.
Make sure the bag is roomy enough, so the beer can fully permeate it to extract the goodies.

I've been dry hopping in kegs, using a bag weighed down with marbles. I can agitate that easily.
When done, either transfer the clear beer to a serving keg. Or just let the hop dust settle out and serve from the hopped keg directly.

I use a paint strainer bag I first soak in sanitizer that hangs in corney halfway down. I don't put more than one marble in as it could lead to an airleak with the dental floss I use coming out the lid.

I'm firmly on the "throw them in without the bag and let them disintegrate" side here.
Bags are one more vector for infection, reduce your utilisation, and generally a bit of a pain.
My approach has been that, if I soak the bag in Star San before adding the hops and throwing it in the fermenter, the chance of an infection is very low. Am I wrong?

Floating dip tube with a Flotit 2.0 on the end and you can just toss 'em in! Haven't had any issues when transferring to keg.

There's just something funky to me about letting magnets sit in beer. Albeit, the silicone ones are probably fine.
Well, you know that when magnets get wet they stop working. Heard it on the internet, so it must be true 😉.

Well, you know that when magnets get wet they stop working. Heard it on the internet, so it must be true 😉.
Something about the humulin concentration affecting the direction of relative North getting disrupted and the electrical conductivity of the Earth's aura reorienting... :ghostly:

Something about the humulin concentration affecting the direction of relative North getting disrupted and the electrical conductivity of the Earth's aura reorienting... :ghostly:
Well, yeah. That and Coriolis effect. After all, physics teaches us that the "Coriolis Force is an inertial force that acts upon objects in motion within a frame of reference that rotates with respect to an inertial frame." Now I for one have no deep understanding of what all that 'sciencey' stuff means, but I'm pretty sure that what ever it is, it means it could really screw up some magnets if it decided to.

Well, yeah. That and Coriolis effect. After all, physics teaches us that the "Coriolis Force is an inertial force that acts upon objects in motion within a frame of reference that rotates with respect to an inertial frame." Now I for one have no deep understanding of what all that 'sciencey' stuff means, but I'm pretty sure that what ever it is, it means it could really screw up some magnets if it decided to.
Should this discussion be moved to the THC-infused beer thread?

Back