Problem reaching correct OG...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountAiryBrew

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd batch of beer and noticed i am constantly off on the OG by just a little, it is always lower than the range. I have noticed a few things that might be effecting this but wanted to run it by everyone and get some opinions.

1. during my boiling process, especially during the beginning and boil ups, there is residue almost like hop and grain debris sticking to the sides. I try to push it back in the brew but i am wondering if it is effecting the concentration.

2. Should i just brew for a longer period of time? I am brewing for a 5gal batch so i don't see how this could effect the gravity of the beer due to me adding water on the backend before the gravity reading.

If anyone knows some techniques to make sure you get the most out of the brew i would greatly appreciate it.

An easy check is to just check the volume you're putting into the fermenter. If you're putting, say, a quart of water more into the fermenter than the recipe indicates, that could easily lower your OG a bit.

Most of those marks on buckets are not accurate, so it could be something that simple.

1) Don't worry about the crud on the side of the pot. It won't make a difference in the wort.

2) If you boil longer you will have less volume and a higher OG, but if you then top up you will dilute back to what you had boiled away.

Have you checked that your hydrometer reads 1.000 in distilled water?
Are you checking the sample at the temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for? Usually 60 degrees.
Are you making extract kits with top up water? If so your gravity is probably what the kit calls for. It is often difficult to get the top up water to fully mix. Heavier wort will be toward the bottom and your sample probably come from the weaker wort on top.

An easy check is to just check the volume you're putting into the fermenter. If you're putting, say, a quart of water more into the fermenter than the recipe indicates, that could easily lower your OG a bit.

Most of those marks on buckets are not accurate, so it could be something that simple.
^^^ Yooper only speaks wise words.....heed her advice always, says I^^^

I agree that an uneven mixture or water/wort is usually the cause. I use a wine thief that doubles as the hydrometer tube so I need to put it in fairly deep to get enough of a sample. That may be why I never see a low reading and more likely to be a little high.

yea boil volume is what i'd check. That and what your hydrometer reads in distilled water. If it's not 1.000 then adjust your OG as necessary.
It's hard to nail an OG every time especially using extract. It requires knowing your equipment pretty well for boil off rates and mixing the wort to get an accurate gravity reading. All grain has it's own worries to hit the OG.

I guess you could boil longer to get a higher OG then dilute it to the point of where you want it with water after you cool it. Just keep taking gravity readings until you're where you want to be. I've never done this but it's worth a shot!

I am going to check the hydrometer tonight on tap water and see what it reads, cause that could definately be the problem.

I will probably give it a good stir after it has cooled and added water THEN take the reading before i add the yeast to try and get a good reading next time.

Back