Priming sugar calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefSluggo

Reaction score
So i am only about 5 batches of beer under my belt, i was brewing with a veteran who always used the krausening method to carbonate beer, i decide to make a batch without him ( big boy pants are on) i am about to bottle in the next few days and i don't have quite 5 gals of wort, is there a way of determining how much priming sugar to use, so i don't create bombs or gushers? Like an equation or something, anything helps thanks you all! it is a basic IPA. :rockin:

i usually do 1 cup for normal beers... 1 1/2 for a wheat.

dextrose

A safe and simple rule of thumb is between 0.75 and 1.0 ounce (by weight NOT volume) of priming sugar per gallon.

As long as the beer has reached FG, then no chance of bottle bombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you all for the quick response, i decided from the calculator to use 4.16 oz. for my batch at 68 degrees, i will let you know how it turns out

Pick a style, how much you have to carb, and the temp you will carbonate at.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Just a quick comment: that temperature is not the temperature at which you carbonate. It is the temperature during fermentation. Because CO2 is more readily absorbed into solution (and held within solution) at lower temperatures, this is a correction factor for the CO2 that is already in solution. For example, say you brew two identical lagers. You taste both after fermentation and decide one needs a diacetyl rest while the other is ready to bottle. The one that goes right to bottles will need LESS priming sugar than the one that is warmed for the diacetyl rest because the warmer temperatures force CO2 out of solution.

Back