Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I have an old, and I mean at least 2 years old, bag of sealed priming sugar I got from NB when I bought my starter brew kit. Would that sealed back still be ok to prime a 5 gallon batch of Seltzer? It has taken 3 or 4 weeks to finally get down to about 1.000 so I would like to get it bottled up as soon as possible. And with it being seltzer I don't have to worry about O2 exposure and I can mix in the flavoring and the sugar at the same time. Any input is appreciated.

Taste and smell it. If it doesn't have off tastes and aromas you shouldn't worry. Sugar or any sort stores well for long periods of time. Moisture can make it a mess to deal with, but not ruin it like it will malts and grain.

Some of the odd ball sugars like maltodextrin will taste funny and perhaps not even sweet. Even when they are perfect. So know what you are tasting should taste like.

If it's sealed it's almost certainly fine. Unless you can see mold growing on it it's almost certainly fine. If you dissolve it in a cup of water and boil it for five minutes before you add it to the seltzer it will definitely be fine.

Now something that might not be fine is priming for seltzer carbonation levels in beer bottles.

If your 'priming sugar' is just dextrose and it's stayed sealed, that stuff lasts forever. The very first time I bottled, I used a small ziplock bag of dextrose I still had sitting in a tin alongside tea-powder, cinnamon, gelatin and a latex glove full of hardened raw chocolate that I'd acquired when I worked at a food-plant about 30 years earlier. The bag I currently have (but haven't used any of in a while) is about 4 or 5 years old and I just checked and it's still fine.
:mug:

If it's sealed it's almost certainly fine. Unless you can see mold growing on it it's almost certainly fine. If you dissolve it in a cup of water and boil it for five minutes before you add it to the seltzer it will definitely be fine.

Now something that might not be fine is priming for seltzer carbonation levels in beer bottles.
I don't understand. I did seltzer in beer bottles last time and it worked out. If you could please explain I would appreciate it.

If your 'priming sugar' is just dextrose and it's stayed sealed, that stuff lasts forever. The very first time I bottled, I used a small ziplock bag of dextrose I still had sitting in a tin alongside tea-powder, cinnamon, gelatin and a latex glove full of hardened raw chocolate that I'd acquired when I worked at a food-plant about 30 years earlier. The bag I currently have (but haven't used any of in a while) is about 4 or 5 years old and I just checked and it's still fine.
:mug:
It says corn sugar on the bag, which I believe is dextrose

I don't understand. I did seltzer in beer bottles last time and it worked out. If you could please explain I would appreciate it.
Most people like seltzer a lot fizzier than beer. Something like 4 or even 5 volumes. Most beer bottles can't handle that. If you prime your seltzer as if it was beer - around 2.5 volumes - then it's not an issue.

Most people like seltzer a lot fizzier than beer. Something like 4 or even 5 volumes. Most beer bottles can't handle that. If you prime your seltzer as if it was beer - around 2.5 volumes - then it's not an issue.
Last time I use a carb drop per bottle like I do beer and it seemed ok. But I see what you mean now. I am going to use the 5oz of Corn Sugar I have to get rid of it. It is sealed and has been in the closet dark and dry. What the heck. LOL. Thank you for the info though, I had no idea.

Back