Confectioner's sugar used as priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerpig

Reaction score
I accidentally used confectioner's sugar as my priming sugar in the bottling process; will this ruin the beer? Or is there anything I can do to fix it, like adding some regular sugar to the bottles now?

It'll work to carbonate, but there's likely some corn starch that came along for the ride. Not much you can do about that now.
Alright, so it sounds like all is not lost...with the corn starch will it still be drinkable? I've read that it'll mostly just settle at the bottom of the bottles but it won't mess with the consistency will it?

Alright, so it sounds like all is not lost...with the corn starch will it still be drinkable? I've read that it'll mostly just settle at the bottom of the bottles but it won't mess with the consistency will it?
I don't know if it will settle out over time or how long it would take, it's a very fine powder.
Although there's only a very small amount of cornstarch per bottle,* it may leave a little cloudiness. It's fine to drink, you can't taste it.

* Typical confectioner's sugar contains only 1 tablespoon of cornstarch per cup of white sugar.

I don't know if it will settle out over time or how long it would take, it's a very fine powder.
Although there's only a very small amount of cornstarch per bottle,* it may leave a little cloudiness. It's fine to drink, you can't taste it.

* Typical confectioner's sugar contains only 1 tablespoon of cornstarch per cup of white sugar.
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back