Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haukurjor

Reaction score
Hi there i brewed a lager 2 days ago, chilled it overnight (didn’t have time to cool it immediately). I pitched yesterday around mid day and I’m not sure but I might have an infected fermentation, can somebody see if that might be the case?
Never had an infection before so I’m pretty worried about this.
E81EAFB1-0116-4875-891A-83AF3A85959E.jpeg
FDE232F4-A2F6-48B1-A57F-E6C04BE8461D.jpeg

That's called kraüsen, and it's a sign that you have Saccharomyces cerevisiae fungus growing.

(In other words, it's normal.)
Welcome to HBT!

That's called kraüsen, and it's a sign that you have Saccharomyces cerevisiae fungus growing.

(In other words, it's normal.)
Welcome to HBT!
If it's a lager, might it be S. pastorianus (spp?)?

If it's a lager, might it be S. pastorianus (spp?)?

Most likely! Interesting to note though, that will all the DNA work going on, some lager strains have been found to be cerevisiae and some ale strains have been found to be pastoranius.

Most likely! Interesting to note though, that will all the DNA work going on, some lager strains have been found to be cerevisiae and some ale strains have been found to be pastoranius.
Ugh, as a practical biologist, I feel it's the job of the geneticist to make my life difficult.

It's the start of a lovely krausen. Fresh yeast can look pretty disgusting when it starts out, it will be fine. KEEP THE LID ON and don't open it again until fermentation is finished!

Back